Gelatin as Fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I've never used gelatin as a fining agent before. I have always used super moss or irish moss. My question is would the gelatin cause enough yeast to fall out of suspension to affect bottle carbing? Also how much gelatin should I use for a typical 5 gal batch?

I use one tablespoon for a 5 gal, I let it sit in a cup of water at room temperature for about 30 mins or so, then bring it to a boil. Pour it right into your secondary or keg and let it do its magic. Works well.

Not sure about being able to naturally carbonate afterwards--my guess would be that it won't work well unless you add some yeast. But unsure if the gelatin removes ALL of the yeast.

I've never had any problems with carbonation after using gelatin.

I just use a packet of gelatin for a 5 gallon batch. I don't heat mine to boiling but get it up around 170 or 180 and hold it there for 10-15 minutes. Then I let it cool briefly down to 140ish before gently stirring into the fermenter.

now this may be a really stupid question, but is it gelatin just like at the grocery store in the jello aisle, obviously unflavored. Or do you have to get special finings jello?

you do not want to boil it . Boiling will just make jello you don't want it to jell in the beer. 170° for 5 minutes is all thats needed. I use unflavored knox from the store and it works best in cold beer I crash then add

you do not want to boil it . Boiling will just make jello you don't want it to jell in the beer. 170° for 5 minutes is all thats needed. I use unflavored knox from the store and it works best in cold beer I crash then add

Yes you certainly dont want Jelly in the beer, happened to me on my first batch, you can really taste the hooves when its unflavoured and you get a lump of it in your beer too :(

Just curious as I have never tried this, so I have a few questions. When would one add the gelatin, at the same time as transfering to secondary? How long does it need to do it's "magic"? and how much do you need to use to be effective, a tsp or the whole package? what about the possibility of infection? ...thanks in advance, seannybubbles

I just did this last night. I add gelatin when transfering from primary to secondary. Here's my process:

Boil 1-2 cups of water.
Let water cool to ~170.
Add a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin.
Let "bloom" for 10-15 min and cool to room temp.
Add to gelatin to secondary.
Add beer to secondary.
Stick secondary in fridge for a cold crash.

I bottle and have not had a problem with carbonation using the above process.

I just did this last night. I add gelatin when transfering from primary to secondary. Here's my process:

Boil 1-2 cups of water.
Let water cool to ~170.
Add a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin.
Let "bloom" for 10-15 min and cool to room temp.
Add to gelatin to secondary.
Add beer to secondary.
Stick secondary in fridge for a cold crash.

I bottle and have not had a problem with carbonation using the above process.

How long does it take? I did the same with my last two beers, and even if I wait 5 days before pulling the first pint, the whole keg is still cloudy.

The 2nd keg was whirlflocced, then gelatined, then let sit for 5 days, and STILL it's cloudy, (After pulling a pint and chucking it).

How long does it take? I did the same with my last two beers, and even if I wait 5 days before pulling the first pint, the whole keg is still cloudy.

The 2nd keg was whirlflocced, then gelatined, then let sit for 5 days, and STILL it's cloudy, (After pulling a pint and chucking it).

if you added the gelatin to the keg all the stuff is going to settle at the bottom may take a few pints to run clear.

I see the first keg was cloudy the whole way . some beers will have chill haze I had one I needed to let sit 3 weeks before the chill haze dropped out .

I'm also new to this, my first brew is still in the primary going on day 6 now!!! I am going to keg mine when it's done so would it be wise to this let it work it's majic then siphon to my keg leaving a little bit in the bottom of the bucket?? I've been trying to find something that I can do to eliminate some or most of the sediment that accumulates because like Springer said it's all going to settle at the bottom of the keg right where the pick-up is. Is the first couple pints just considered a loss and is part of the process??
Thanks for the input
I love this forum!!!!! :)

Is the first couple pints just considered a loss and is part of the process??

The first couple pints may be cloudy but they surely shouldn't be considered a loss unless you are in serious competition where appearance matters. The cloudiness won't make the beer "bad", just cloudy, so drink them up before you serve any of the rest to guests.

This is what I do depending upon the type of beer. I leave the beer in the primary until the initial fermentation is complete. Then I rack it into a secondary and leave it for any number of weeks, again depending upon the type. Then about a week before I fine it. let it sit a week, then very carefully rack it into the keg. Then I charge the keg, and let it sit for a while, and voila chrystal clear beer!!! Good luck!

How cold should you 'cold crash'? I have a wine fridge that I can't seem to get below about 45. Is that cold enough?

45F usually isn't cold enough. Typically needs to be near freezing. I usually crash between 34F & 36F, when I do it.

I am planning on adding gelatin to the secondary to clear up a stubbornly non-flocculant Kolsch. Will the gelatin leave some kind of craziness in the bottom of the secondary that I have to be careful not to siphon up on bottling day?

Back