Brew Day Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhall4

Reaction score
Not really sure where to put this, so apologies if this is out of place.

This weekend I was brewing a Dry Irish Stout. This detail is only important because, as you know, stouts are dark.

It was an extract batch with steeping grains. Everything was going well. I pulled out the grains, put them in a strainer to let them drain into a bowl, and added my extract. Then I went to pour the liquid that had drained from the grains into by brew kettle, but I got careless and spilled about 1-2 cups of the grains into my wort. I quickly tried to figure out a solution. I decided I would pour the wort into a fermenting bucket, line my kettle with my grain bag, pour the wort back into the kettle, and then pull out the grain bag.

That solution would have worked well, except apparently some combination of a loose spigot and heat allowed the bucket's spigot to fall off. Near boiling wort comes rushing out onto my foot and then the kitchen floor. This resulted in some 2nd degree burns on the top of my foot. I dropped the bucket at this point and the resulting splash got wort all over my cabinets and ceiling. About 3 gallons spilled before I could lift the bucket into the kitchen sink.

Wort was everywhere. The kitchen has faux wood linoleum, so it wasn't a big deal, except the kitchen is small and the wort made its way underneath all the appliances (stove, fridge, dish washer). Some got onto the carpet in the dining room.

Took a couple hours to get everything cleaned up. The carpet is still a bit stained, I'll have to rent a steam cleaner or something to try to get the spot out. Luckily my SWMBO was understanding and very helpful. Not my best brew day, but I'm not going to let it get me down. I'm going to try again tonight, so that I can still have my Irish Stout ready to go by St. Patrick's day!

Yikes!!! Luckily your SWMBO helped out. My girlfriend would have stood there laughing at me.

Well, after I yelled some explicatives in reaction to my foot being burned, she came running and then just sort of stood there, stunned by what she was seeing. Took her a few seconds and me yelling 'towels! towels!' for her to snap into action. After that, she was amazing.

Ouch, Is that NB's Dry Irish? I made one in Nov. that was excellent. A bit more hop bitterness in mine do to a no chill hop utilization miscalculation, but a lovely brew indeed. Hope the re-brew went well and the foot is ok.
Cheers

That's cool that your ol lady helped out. I can still remember when I accidentally stabbed myself (long story) and my wife just rolled her eyes and refused to drive me to the emergency room.

Brewing the same day with second degree burns? Wow you are determined. Looks like another trip down to the good brewer....

When i was doing biab I managed to drop my grain bag and colander into 3gal of black ipa wort. Luckily it was only at sparge temps but i couldn't believe how much wort covered the kitchen (and my face). I still have stains on my ceiling.

My girlfriend was also great with helping/not telling at me and she doesn't even like black ipas. After that incident i bought a mash tun!

Ouch, Is that NB's Dry Irish? I made one in Nov. that was excellent. A bit more hop bitterness in mine do to a no chill hop utilization miscalculation, but a lovely brew indeed. Hope the re-brew went well and the foot is ok.
Cheers
It was actually the LHBS's (HopTech in Dublin, CA) Irish Stout kit. It also came with high praise other customers in the shop that day, though!

That's cool that your ol lady helped out. I can still remember when I accidentally stabbed myself (long story) and my wife just rolled her eyes and refused to drive me to the emergency room.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. If I didn't already feel incredibly lucky, I certainly would now!

Brewing the same day with second degree burns? Wow you are determined. Looks like another trip down to the good brewer....
Well, the brewpocalypse (as I've come to call it) actually took place on Saturday. Sunday was an SF Beer Week brunch, so I couldn't rebrew then. I intended to brew yesterday, but after running to the LHBS I didn't have enough time, so it looks like today is the day. I do still have to be careful when wearing shoes, so I don't rip the blisters on my foot open.

When i was doing biab I managed to drop my grain bag and colander into 3gal of black ipa wort. Luckily it was only at sparge temps but i couldn't believe how much wort covered the kitchen (and my face). I still have stains on my ceiling.

My girlfriend was also great with helping/not telling at me and she doesn't even like black ipas. After that incident i bought a mash tun!
It's definitely great to have that support. I was able to get the wort off of the ceiling, but we're still finding little drips around the kitchen that we missed on the first pass.

I'm actually planning a build of an eBIAB system. I'm in a pretty tiny apartment so I don't want to take up too much space with a multi tier system. I'll have to be very careful with that so that I don't repeat today's incident...

Sounds like a bad day... I usually do a few BONE-HEADED things at the begining of each brewing season...

It is best to get that stuff out at the begining of the year...

I left a ball valve open and ran hot wort onto the top of my sandal clad feet. Last time I brewed barefoot or in sandals. Now I brew in waterproof leather steel toe boots 100% of the time. If they are good enough to protect my feet in a machine shop or factory they should work at the brew stand as well.

Sorry to hear about the bad brew day but there will be good days to follow I am sure.

I left a ball valve open and ran hot wort onto the top of my sandal clad feet. Last time I brewed barefoot or in sandals. Now I brew in waterproof leather steel toe boots 100% of the time. If they are good enough to protect my feet in a machine shop or factory they should work at the brew stand as well.

Sorry to hear about the bad brew day but there will be good days to follow I am sure.

Yeah. I brew in my kitchen and I usually don't wear shoes indoors. I might have to make an exception next time, though, especially if I have to carry out another hot wort transfer like I did Saturday.

Well, this story has a happy ending.

My Irish Stout is happily bubbling away in the brew closet. Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

There must be something up with the Dry Irish Stout these days. I was attempting to brew one today and I had a disaster of a brew day myself. My Barley Crusher stopped crusing halfway through my grain bill. After I finally got it fixed I accidentally dumped half my grain bill on my floor. It mixed in with dirt, carpet fiber and dog hair. Didn't sound all that appetizing so I just dumped it. Since NB mixes your bill together I have no idea what grain I'm lacking and how much of it. I have to start all over, but its just a few bucks worth of grain. It is super windy here today and I'm getting some good gusts into my garage. Looks like this brew day is cancelled. I guess at least I have the day off for a holiday.

That sucks--hey I got a problem with Honey Amber after two lost batches a couple years ago I've give up on it--first batch went on the basement floor when I was stupid enough to answer the phone on bottling day--**** happens--brewing some wheat in the morning wish me luck

Back