11 days into imp stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
Just took a grav reading of my imp stout brewed on the 2nd. Wanted to see how my baby was fermenting. I haven't made an imp stout before, so I'm pretty excited. Anyways I gave it a taste and it has a extreme harsh alcohol taste, i was hoping to bottle on the 30th and let it sit in bottles until christmas and crack one open to celebrate my holiday. Do you guys think it will have mellowed out much at all by then? OG 1.082 currently at 1.020. I used a big english ale yeast started and I believe the beer is going to land in the 8.5 abv zone. It is an all grain brew.

I doubt it'll be very mellow by that time but you should be able to bottle it by then. It may be drinkable but it could use time.

I dunno if you've brewed lots of big beers or not but from my experience alcohol is always more present in my samples from the Carboy then it is when it's carbonated.

Just took a grav reading of my imp stout brewed on the 2nd. Wanted to see how my baby was fermenting. I haven't made an imp stout before, so I'm pretty excited. Anyways I gave it a taste and it has a extreme harsh alcohol taste, i was hoping to bottle on the 30th and let it sit in bottles until christmas and crack one open to celebrate my holiday. Do you guys think it will have mellowed out much at all by then? OG 1.082 currently at 1.020. I used a big english ale yeast started and I believe the beer is going to land in the 8.5 abv zone. It is an all grain brew.

I like to brew my stouts at 6% and they will have some sight Alcohol to them even when im fermenting low. Time to age is what your Imp Stout needs. Dont rush it. Rack it off the lees and stick it away someplace cool and dark for another 2 months at least befor you bottle. Time is your friend in homebrewing.

I tend to use small amounts of woodchips in my big beers. I've found that it helps smooth the flavor and reduce the sharp heavy alcohol taste. Like a smoked oak for a high gravity stout or barley wine or a cedar for a IPA.

Than again as stated before time is very helpful.

Do it and see. If it still has a harsh alcohol taste give it more time.

Proper fermentation and time are all high gravity brews really need.

I usually start at 62-64* and let it slowly rise to the upper limit of the yeast's comfort zone over 10 days or so. Cuts almost all of the fusel alcohols out but still reaches my expected attenuation.

Another vote for time. An 8.5% stout is going to likely need at least a couple of months to be decent, but age beyond that (even a significant amount) will likely only improve the brew.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm going to transfer into secondary this weekend and let it sit a month then see where it's at. I made a cream ale last weekend that everyone in the family likes so they can settle for that lol.

I'm glad you can accept the advice. I currently have a 10% Imperial Stout that I brewed back in April. I don't even plan on drinking a bottle until next month.

Just for reference...

The imperial nut brown ale (8.66 ABV) I referred to was eight months old before I drank the first one. I found it to be a very nice beer, but with room for improvement.

At nine months in, the difference is noticeble (the was a bit of a harshly sweet note that has mellowed noticeably). I'm thinking that it still has room to improve, however.

The recipe I brewed from claims that the beer is good after six months, great after nine, and amazing after a year. I'm thinking that the recipe may be right.

Latest posts

Back