Plastic cap with dried glue fell in fermenter--problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakescience12

Reaction score
On the top of my carboy (5 gallons) I had a small cap that I put a hole through and then reinforced the sides of it with glue (Duco Cement, http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=207, similar to plastic model glue). My plan was to stick the rubber tubing through to serve as the blow-off tube (the other end in a small bucket of sanitized water). Upon racking, when one end of the tubing was put in the fermenter as the end of the siphon, the cap fell in! The glue had been dry for a few days but must not have had a strong enough bond.

I didn't notice the cap in the wort at the time nor did it come to mind until after everything was sealed and I had left the house. Unfortunately, I am now on vacation and will not return for a few weeks.

The question is, how much will taste or other things about the beer be affected with the cap and some hardened plastic glue residue in the wort during primary fermentation? I am brewing an Oktoberfest lager and there will be a diacetyl rest and secondary fermentation. Should I fish out the cap upon my return and continue or just start anew? Of course I will have a proper carboy plug and keep all chemicals away from the beer in the future.

It just so happens in that link you posted it shows what chemicals the glue is resistant to. Amongst other things, it's highly resistant to beer. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as it was completely cured before use. Many people have dropped stoppers and grommets into wort before, and it almost always turns out fine.

So now I have other questions. Why would you glue the cap to the carboy? That's not very safe, because if the blowoff tube gets clogged (and they can) then it can cause an exploding fermenter. And why, if you noticed the bung had gone into the wort, didn't you just fished it out right there and then. And how is the wort covered now?

And welcome to the forum!

It just so happens in that link you posted it shows what chemicals the glue is resistant to. Amongst other things, it's highly resistant to beer. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as it was completely cured before use. Many people have dropped stoppers and grommets into wort before, and it almost always turns out fine.

I thought you were just placating him until I looked at the pdf. They actually tested it against beer!!! Must be a pretty fun lab they work in....:D

Yea I thought that was odd it listed beer specifically. Ooo I'll bet the testers of that glue have homebrewers in em. I'll bet they tested the effects of pot smoke on it too, but of course can't really publish those results....

Back