Quick Batch Sparge Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
When batch sparging, do you hold the sparge liquid there in the mash tun for a few minutes before draining? Or do you drain as soon as it gets in there?

I usually let mine sit 10-15 minutes while I'm working on something.

Basically - pour sparge water in, stir like crazy, let the bed settle, drain.

Pour water in, stir real good, let sit for 10 min, then stir again, then being runnings. At least thats how I do it.

I give it 10-15 minutes after a good stir. It may not result in an increase in effieiency, but it gives me time to relax and have another brew. :mug:

ok, doing my first AG as we speak..

is there any problems with my mashing being a few minutes over 60min?

aekdbbop said:

No, not beyond the 60 min mark that is for sure. Temp is just as important as time here but whatever the case a couple of minutes over 60 will be un-noticeable.

aekdbbop said:

aside from the fact that you probably don't need to mash that long, there's no problem! base malts are so well modified today that 30-45 minutes is plenty, unless you have a lot of adjuncts, like wheat or something. are you familiar with the iodine test to check conversion? if not do a search for it, and the next time you do a batch, start testing for conversion every 5 minutes starting at 20 minutes, and keep track of when you've finished conversion. i did this a few weeks ago on a pale that was all 2row except for some crystal 60 and some carapils. my mash was finished in 35 minutes! good luck tonight!

Back