Need ya'lls thoughts on my menu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeNbrew

Reaction score
Alright boys, Im having lil shindig this Saturday for my bday. Obviously, I can't do this no justice without some smoke, fire, and good beer. Tried to include a stripper- swmbo shot that down in a hurry. It was worth a shot...

Well anyhow I've got some stuff in mind for the menu. I wanted to get some input from everyone. Suggestions, thoughts, tips- it'll all be greatly appreciate. Please feel free to post ANYTHING you got...

So far this is what Im thinkin & it's all subject to change (lookin for more ideas)-

Apps- ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds) Maybe some Pork Peckers instead??

Main- 15lbs Boston Butt to be pulled (rub in the memphis style, smoke with apple wood)

Sides-

Bush's country beans doctor'd and smoked under the Butts in a ceramic dutch oven for the drippins + mix with 1lbs or so of pulled pork at the end.

Sweet Vinegar slaw (typical recipe...I would like to know the secret to getting the cabbage a little more on the softer pickled side from the dressing)

Creamy Slaw (Marzetti's...Im lazy)

Honey Sweetened Cornbread with diced jalapeno

Smoked Mac (I start out with a white roux & cream cheese...thought about adding half a brick of Velveeta to make it creamier than just the chunked colby I normally just add)

Dessert- Smoke roasted pear or granny smith apple (cored, filled with sugared cinnamon cream cheese)...texture comes out almost to that of a slightly firmer fried apples in the skillet.

Like I said, I'd like some thoughts. Help me make this some food to remember. What have you had success with within your gatherings?? Thanks in advance..

Might as well throw some ribs on too since you'll have the smoker fired up. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

Oh, and happy birthday!

:mug:

You asked for what we've had success with at our own gatherings. This being Texas, smoked meat is just another way of saying brisket. I usually make a brisket, smoked beans and a couple racks of ribs. The ribs are above the brisket dripping on it and the brisket is above a foil pan of my homemade beans, dripping into them. About every half hour the whole thing gets sprayed down with homebrew. Once everything is cut up, the small pieces of meat get chopped fine and put into the beans. To this I add my mashed potatoes--unpeeled, boiled and mashed with butter, sour cream, milk salt and pepper. My wife usually throws together some veggies so we can say something green was on the table.

uhhh, ABT's AND Pig Peckers! Duh! Or some MOINK balls, and just throw a couple ropes of sausage on there to slice up. Three apps in one!

How many people? I've got about 20 lbs of pulled pork going on the smoker fri night for a group brew day on Sat. That's only for 15 or so people though. We like leftovers (and PP is awesome leftovers).

I'm also making a broccoli slaw. You can get the stuff in the bag at the store, cut up some crowns of broccoli, add in some craisens and the actual premade slaw mixture. Lets people think they are eating healthy! ;)

Now, it's too early here in PA yet, but soon the Wegman's down here will be able to bring in Salt Potatoes. It's an Upstate NY thing, but are damn good with BBQ. Basically the little white potatoes, with an assload of salt in the boiling water. The salt crystallizes around the skin when you pull them out. Slice in half and a little butter and you're golden. You can make these by buying the little potatoes in the red netting bag, but it adds up in cost. When getting them at Weggies, you get a 2.5 lb bag for way cheaper (it includes the salt too) than piecing it together. But worth the investment.

The other thing I've been doing lately, that everyone loves, are Bacon Infused Stuffed Sliders, or Meat Cupcakes (depending on when in the process you see them). Basically, get the ground beef you like, and a big package of thick cut bacon. Semi freeze the bacon, then run it through your food processor to cut it up. Mix it in with the ground beef, at about 2:1 gb:bacon. Mix that all up, then using your wifes crappiest muffin tin and a smallish icecream scoop, dump a couple of scoops in each depression. Then using your thumb and index finger, smash it down so that you create a well in the center and push the mixture up the sides of each depression. Fill with whatever cheese you prefer. Then take about a golfball sized helping of the meat mixture, roll into a ball in your hand and then squish it so that it looks like a saucer. Make sure the middle is slightly thicker than the edges, place on top of your cheese filled depression, and pinch the sides down along the edges. Finally, run a butter knife backwards around the edges of the depressions in the tins, and dump them out onto wax paper. It's alot of work, but when they come out, they look like "Meat Cupcakes". Once you smoke them, they all resemble a hockey puck, and then go by the other name for those that didn't see the prep work! Smoked at 230 for an hour and a half. Make sure you have some sort of grease deflection/pan. The bacon can get a grease fire going in a hurry, depending on how many you do (most was 130 at one time, and that was only because I got sick of making them). One of these "sliders" is pretty damn filling. Using the muffin tin ensures they will all be the same size, and cook uniformly.

For the cheese, I have tried: an aged cheddar, feta, aged gouda, crumbled blue. The Blue won hands down, with the gouda coming in a close second (due to the salt in the gouda). Cheddar was favored by those that don't like to explore cheese.

Appreciate the bday wish headbanger.

@Cluckk- When you say homemade beans, are you using dry beans? That's something Ive been considering for a while now. But Ive never found anyone I can ask first hand on how and what to expect.

Whoa buddy...lotta good ideas there!

Forgot all about that broccoli slaw. Man, thats some good stuff. Im definitely adding that.

You know, maybe those meat cup cakes would be a better idea than ABT's for a crowd. Always seems the majority of people dont like hot & spicy. Downside is I don't have a food processor. Im sure I can figure something out. Have you ever just made them into a meatball shape instead of a muffin tin? Im thinkin Ill do something like this, with blue cheese.

Damnit! Now Im gettin hungry thinkin about all this food!

uhhh, ABT's AND Pig Peckers! Duh! Or some MOINK balls, and just throw a couple ropes of sausage on there to slice up. Three apps in one!

How many people? I've got about 20 lbs of pulled pork going on the smoker fri night for a group brew day on Sat. That's only for 15 or so people though. We like leftovers (and PP is awesome leftovers).

I'm also making a broccoli slaw. You can get the stuff in the bag at the store, cut up some crowns of broccoli, add in some craisens and the actual premade slaw mixture. Lets people think they are eating healthy! ;)

Now, it's too early here in PA yet, but soon the Wegman's down here will be able to bring in Salt Potatoes. It's an Upstate NY thing, but are damn good with BBQ. Basically the little white potatoes, with an assload of salt in the boiling water. The salt crystallizes around the skin when you pull them out. Slice in half and a little butter and you're golden. You can make these by buying the little potatoes in the red netting bag, but it adds up in cost. When getting them at Weggies, you get a 2.5 lb bag for way cheaper (it includes the salt too) than piecing it together. But worth the investment.

The other thing I've been doing lately, that everyone loves, are Bacon Infused Stuffed Sliders, or Meat Cupcakes (depending on when in the process you see them). Basically, get the ground beef you like, and a big package of thick cut bacon. Semi freeze the bacon, then run it through your food processor to cut it up. Mix it in with the ground beef, at about 2:1 gb:bacon. Mix that all up, then using your wifes crappiest muffin tin and a smallish icecream scoop, dump a couple of scoops in each depression. Then using your thumb and index finger, smash it down so that you create a well in the center and push the mixture up the sides of each depression. Fill with whatever cheese you prefer. Then take about a golfball sized helping of the meat mixture, roll into a ball in your hand and then squish it so that it looks like a saucer. Make sure the middle is slightly thicker than the edges, place on top of your cheese filled depression, and pinch the sides down along the edges. Finally, run a butter knife backwards around the edges of the depressions in the tins, and dump them out onto wax paper. It's alot of work, but when they come out, they look like "Meat Cupcakes". Once you smoke them, they all resemble a hockey puck, and then go by the other name for those that didn't see the prep work! Smoked at 230 for an hour and a half. Make sure you have some sort of grease deflection/pan. The bacon can get a grease fire going in a hurry, depending on how many you do (most was 130 at one time, and that was only because I got sick of making them). One of these "sliders" is pretty damn filling. Using the muffin tin ensures they will all be the same size, and cook uniformly.

For the cheese, I have tried: an aged cheddar, feta, aged gouda, crumbled blue. The Blue won hands down, with the gouda coming in a close second (due to the salt in the gouda). Cheddar was favored by those that don't like to explore cheese.

Back