Kolsch Advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Ok, so I am making my first Kolsch tonight. Its NB's kit. I know that a Kolsch is basically an Ale/Lager hybrid. Is there anything special I need to know? The recipe is as follows:

6lbs Pale Malt Syrup.
1lb Light DME
1.5oz Hallertauer (60min)
0.5oz Hallertaur (10min)
Wyeast #2565 Kolsch (App. Atten:73-77%, Temp 56-64F)
Whirlfloc tablet (10min)

Now, if I ferment in the otpimum 56-64 range for both primary and secondary, what temp do I bottle condition/carbonate at? It says in the kit that Kolsches are given a long cold aging period (like a lager). Does this come immeadiately after femrentation? After carbonation?

Anything else I am missing or should know?

-Todd

let them carbonate at a warmer temperature, then lager them. and dont worry about the sulfur smell that the yeast will produce. out of curiosity, waht is a whirlfloc tablet.

drengel said:
let them carbonate at a warmer temperature, then lager them. and dont worry about the sulfur smell that the yeast will produce. out of curiosity, waht is a whirlfloc tablet.

Ok, so use the high fifty range for primary secondary, then switch to 70's for carbonation then cold store @38 or so for about 4-weeks?

As for the WHirlfloc:

Whirlfloc Tablets. A blend of Irish moss and purified carrageenan that help precipitate haze-causing proteins and beta glucans. Use one tablet per 5 gallons in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Back