Yeast starter ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Hopefully me being incredibly romantic doesn't ruin my starter. Hear me out.

I just finished make a starter with WL American Hefeweizen yeast. I made it in the kitchen. I kept everything very sanitary. Then, after I finished, I realized that the fresh flowers I bought my wife the other day were also in the kitchen. Is there any danger of wild yeasts from the flowers or anything else hitching a free ride into my starter.

I know it's a stretch but has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was your end result? Am I just being paranoid?

The irony is that the starter is for a batch of raspberry honey wheat that I am brewing especially for her. Hopefully her flowers aren't the downfall of it!

Yeah, you're just paranoid. Relax, your starter is fine. There are many more microbes in the kitchen to contend with than what is on those flowers.

BBL_Brewer said:
Yeah, you're just paranoid. Relax, your starter is fine. There are many more microbes in the kitchen to contend with than what is on those flowers.

Ok, thanks. That puts my mind at ease.

Back