Commercial beers that let you down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. To me Stella tastes like skunk water! Id rather drink cheap malt liquer than a Stella.

Try it in a can once. I hated it in bottle,having it at home poured from a can was a better experience,at least for me.

morticus said:
I will have to give it a try. I'm always down to try any beer at least once. I don't mind chinooks, but prefer simcoe. I'm mainly a Rogue and Deschutes fan.

See that's funny because I think Rogue makes some funky beers. A like some of them, but others are just wack. They should be brought up on criminal charges for the Voodoo Doughnut.

bottlebomber said:
See that's funny because I think Rogue makes some funky beers. A like some of them, but others are just wack. They should be brought up on criminal charges for the Voodoo Doughnut.

Yes agreed. I haven't tried the Voodoo Doughnut beer, and don't have to, to know its probably gross. But I love their Dead Guy, and Hazelnut Nectar. I think my all time favorite beer is their Mogul Madness.

morticus said:
Yes agreed. I haven't tried the Voodoo Doughnut beer, and don't have to, to know its probably gross. But I love their Dead Guy, and Hazelnut Nectar. I think my all time favorite beer is their Mogul Madness.

Dead Guy is excellent. I haven't been able to try those others you mentioned. I've seen the hazelnut nectar, I'll have to grab it next time. I've been wanting to try the double dead guy.

You'd probably like the 12.21.12. I'm not a huge stone fan either and since I hate Chinook hops I'm not crazy about AB or DB but I did really enjoy that beer.
Ahhh forgot about this one. Had seen the 12.12.12 online and finally found it in the local packy, what a bummer. Great idea but the roasted pepper flavor just didn't sit well with me. I can see how someone else might be totally about it but it's not my bag.

bottlebomber said:
Dead Guy is excellent. I haven't been able to try those others you mentioned. I've seen the hazelnut nectar, I'll have to grab it next time. I've been wanting to try the double dead guy.

Not sure where you're from but you usually can't Mogul Madness at the store. Lately Ive only been able to find it at Rogues Brewery. There might be some bottle shops that carry it. It's an awesome winter ale that I think rivals Deschutes Jubelale.

Any Sam Adams beer. I don't like their use of hops. I have tried their seasonals and can't find one that I would want to have.

Stella in the green bottles always tastes skunky to me.

Imports don't have the same taste that they had near the brewery. I refuse to drink beer imported from Europe because it is either old or improperly stored and transported.

Evan_L said:
Ahhh forgot about this one. Had seen the 12.12.12 online and finally found it in the local packy, what a bummer. Great idea but the roasted pepper flavor just didn't sit well with me. I can see how someone else might be totally about it but it's not my bag.

No not the Vertical Epic, the Enjoy By IPA. I had the 11.11.11 Vertical Epic, the Anaheim chili one and I agree that it was nasty. I had to almost put a clothespin on my nose to choke it down. This is the one:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/84596

No not the Vertical Epic, the Enjoy By IPA. I had the 11.11.11 Vertical Epic, the Anaheim chili one and I agree that it was nasty. I had to almost put a clothespin on my nose to choke it down. This is the one:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/84596

I haven't had the 11-11-11 yet (got a bottle aging), but I haven't been able to enjoy a single chili beer yet. Something about the mouthfeel combined with the heat just doesn't sit well with me (comes off too oily...or something). Which is weird, considering I could (and usually do) eat spicy food every day.

I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
You're all I've ever wanted, my arms are open wide

Hopknocker Imperial IPA - Schmohz Brewing Company

Did someone froget the hops?!?! Not bad for a barleywine (at 9.5%) but not an IIPA!

(Should have known since it was called Hopknocker and the girl on the lable had A-Cups!)

Unibroue Terrible - Well it is just that, teribble. First few sips were ok. Force myself to drink the glass. After pouring the remaining portion of the bottle into the glass, it tasted like prune wine. Had to dump the rest.

Anchor Steam Small Beer- great idea... bad beer- hardly even tastes like beer
Pliny the Elder... what is the big deal?
Guiness Black Lager... stick to making stout- please...
Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic- ahhhgh... cough syrup anyone?
Rouge Farms Original 19 Colonies Mead...I know, it isn't beer- but it is awful- I poured it down the drain- tasted like soap and vinegar- better off using it to wash windows...

Rouge Farms Original 19 Colonies Mead...I know, it isn't beer- but it is awful- I poured it down the drain- tasted like soap and vinegar- better off using it to wash windows...

Good point. I actually have never had a commercial mead that was worth anything.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

One of my early craft brews I had (about 2 months after I turned 21) and it tastes like you're drinking tree pulp.

Hopslayer - Wild Onion Brewery

Whatever hops they use gives off a strong garlic or onion aroma and taste. It's like it's there and you know it, but it fades quick and makes you keep drinking just to find out if it really is garlic or just your senses playing games with you.

Dog Fish Head - 60 and 90 minute. They were bottled in december 2012 and I drank them in early january - both were boring and lifeless - no hop aroma or bitterness - they just tasted like higher alcohol boring pale ales. so disappointing.

Dog Fish Head - 60 and 90 minute. They were bottled in december 2012 and I drank them in early january - both were boring and lifeless - no hop aroma or bitterness - they just tasted like higher alcohol boring pale ales. so disappointing.

DF 60 is one of my favorite beers at the moment. But i'm just getting into IPA's, thats why I can enjoy it. Low IBU's and pale ale flavor/aroma.

surly furious, first experience with an ultra hopped beer. i felt like i got high off of the hops. not that the beer was bad or anything just not my cup o tea

Rougues Voodoo Donut! Tastes like a burnt eraser! Absolutely disgusting! I forced it down only because of the price i paid for the bottle. What a waste of money

Petrus Aged Red. Had it for the first time the other day. It's not bad per se, but a brewery of their quality should not be putting out a beer that tastes like Mort Subite's or Timmermans's Kriek. I was hoping for something a bit more...

Rougues Voodoo Donut! Tastes like a burnt eraser! Absolutely disgusting! I forced it down only because of the price i paid for the bottle. What a waste of money

Which Voodoo Dounut? I haven't tired either, but I heard the first one just had too much liquid smoke type flavor.

Which Voodoo Dounut? I haven't tired either, but I heard the first one just had too much liquid smoke type flavor.

Im not sure! I didnt know that there was more than 1. The one i tried had a bright pink bottle and was supposed to be maple bacon flavor

I would try any beer, but I wouldnt buy one for $13.99.

hahaha....I used to say that too. Then I started drinking sours. Now I'm so far down that rabbit hole, $13.99 seems reasonable. I bought a bottle of Cantillon Mamouche for $30 a few months ago.

I had to start making my own sours, otherwise I was gonna go broke.

Southern Tier Pumking. I actually consider this to be one of my all time favorite beers, for the past three years my wife and I have hunted it down grabbed a few to last through fall. This year I wanted to share my superfund with some friends and family, cracked on open, poured it out and started to server...it was nasty. Too bitter, no good taste to be found, it wasn't the amazing beer I'd been used to. I'm sure I can't blame southern tier, it was probably distributed hot and just not treated well, but what a disappointment.

Shiner 102 double wheat. The nose just kept reminding me of a dishwasher that had been opened while still early in the dry cycle.

Back