Having Fun with Acid Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Ok, so for grins and giggles I started out with making the simple cheese = Hot milk + vinegar and have been making good white cheese. It lacks in flavor of course but you've got to start somewhere in my opinion.

This is the basic recipe site: Quick Homemade Cheese Recipe

The other day I decided to try some flavor additions. I started heating the cheese and in the middle of the heat cycle, I tossed in about 2 tsp of Italian seasoning (dry) and about 2 tsp of dried garlic.

Then I continued the heating process until I figured I was close to 190*F and poured in the vinegar.

Hung to drain for about an hour and done. It tasted GREAT! I've noticed this cheese is crumbly, but on flavored rice crackers its really good.

On a side note, I about to order the regular ingredients to make cheddar and use my press! :ban:

Anyone else herbing their simple cheeses?

I make "fresh cheeses" with fresh goats milk. It's easy (easier than your recipe!) and found that chevre with tarragon and some cheese salt is heavenly!

Make Goat Cheese in your Kitchen is the culture and recipe (and technique) I used.

Also, feta is awesome! I have a simple feta recipe that I can dig up later if you're interested.

I wish I had access to goat's milk! They don't raise many goats in my area but I do know people in other parts of Texas that do have access. I may have to hit them up. lol

I'm currently researching gouda, but that seems like a pain to start making aged cheese. So cheddar it is. I can't wait to get started. :D

I wish I had access to goat's milk! They don't raise many goats in my area but I do know people in other parts of Texas that do have access. I may have to hit them up. lol

I'm currently researching gouda, but that seems like a pain to start making aged cheese. So cheddar it is. I can't wait to get started. :D

Gouda is NOT hard! I prefer it over cheddar, especially if you're "cheddaring" the cheddar.

Gouda and harvati are simply "washed curds" cheeses. Which means after you cut the curds, you rinse with some water a couple of times. It reduces the acidity, and makes a smoother creamier cheese. I'll see if I can dig those recipes up, if you want.

Edit- this is NOT the one I used but looking at it, it's exactly the same procedure! How to make homemade Dutch Gouda Cheese Recipe

oh, yes, one more thing!

Save your whey. Then, bring it up to near boiling and turn it off. As it sits, it'll form "clouds". Let it cool, then skim out the "clouds" with a fine strainer, and pour the remainder through a cheesecloth. (not "cheesecloth" at the store with the huge holes, but real cheesecloth for cheesemaking, or a quadruple thickness of the store stuff).

Let drain. add the "clouds" and remainder of the cheese cloth stuff together. Add a pinch of salt, and you just made ricotta!

God, I love smoked Gouda.

I have thought about making cheese, but the amount of time ageing for good cheddar is more than I am willing to wait for.
How long will Gouda need to be aged?

You know, it wasn't really all that long. Maybe I cut the first one at 2 months or so, if my memory serves. I actually like cheeses better before they are aged all that much, as they get "sharper" with time and aging. I think the gouda was great up until 6 months or so. It might have been good longer, but it was gone.

I have a small wine chiller and it stays at 50 degrees, so it's perfect for ripening cheeses. It's too dry, so a bowl of water an a cloth to "wick" it up are in there, and then the humidity stays at over 90%.

I can handle 2 months or so. I'm thinking my lager fermentation fridge might do double duty as that is always kept at 50f and humidy isn't a problem with the old fridge I have.
Now to see if I can make up a cheese press.

Thanks Yoop.

Thanks Yooper for the encouragement. I may try that method. I was more concerned with all of the flipping times in the press. That made it seem like an all day process. lol

boo boo, I'll try to draw up a quick mock up of my press. It's dead simple and can be used to create multiple levels of pressure by simply moving the cheese.

I guess the technical term would be a Multiplier Pivot Arm.

Well, after reading this here a few days ago, I decided to give it a whirl. Have a whole gallon of milk, (now turned into 2 cheese rounds) hanging up as we speak. I did one with 2 tbs italian herb seasoning, as mentioned by the OP, and one with 2 jalapenos in it. I was not sure on how much salt to add, so I added 1 tbs of salt into the italian herb one, and forgot to add salt to the 2nd one. Will do it after it is done hanging. Will let you know how it turns out!

Ryan M.

Well, after reading this here a few days ago, I decided to give it a whirl. Have a whole gallon of milk, (now turned into 2 cheese rounds) hanging up as we speak. I did one with 2 tbs italian herb seasoning, as mentioned by the OP, and one with 2 jalapenos in it. I was not sure on how much salt to add, so I added 1 tbs of salt into the italian herb one, and forgot to add salt to the 2nd one. Will do it after it is done hanging. Will let you know how it turns out!

Ryan M.

Hmm, putting jalapenos in the hot milk would add some good spice to the cheese. Great idea! i may try that next.

Fun stuff indeed. We are gonna take the plunge today and make something!! I may stop at at the whole foods market and check on goats milk. Also gonna stop and get some calcium chloride in case I need it.

Hmm, putting jalapenos in the hot milk would add some good spice to the cheese. Great idea! i may try that next.

Well, I am reporting back on the cheese that we made this weekend. We ate the Italian herb seasoning cheese just a few hours after we made it, and it was pretty good.

As mentioned on the same site as the acid cheese instructions, one of the folks in the comments section talked about baking the cheese. I figured that since we were not going to eat the jalapeno cheese that night, that I would give it a try.

We tore into that cheese today, and it was really awesome! It was not hot/spicy from the jalapenos, it had very good jalapeno flavor and aroma, and was dense and easily sliced for putting on crackers. It had a slight smoky taste from cooking it in the oven (300 degrees for an hour, then 375 degrees for 15 mins). All in all, very good for first time cheese making, and the fact that it requires few ingredients makes it even better!

We are having some friends up from across the state this weekend, so we are going to make it again on Wednesday.

A few more ideas about what to make cheese with:

1. Roasted jalapenos
2. Habaneros (roasted vs plain)
3. Sun dried tomato and basil (with a nice balsamic vinaigrette)
4. Jalapeno Bacon (oh yeah)
5. Roasted garlic

Just a few thoughts, will let you know what else we come up with!

Ryan M.

Well, I am reporting back on the cheese that we made this weekend. We ate the Italian herb seasoning cheese just a few hours after we made it, and it was pretty good.

As mentioned on the same site as the acid cheese instructions, one of the folks in the comments section talked about baking the cheese. I figured that since we were not going to eat the jalapeno cheese that night, that I would give it a try.

We tore into that cheese today, and it was really awesome! It was not hot/spicy from the jalapenos, it had very good jalapeno flavor and aroma, and was dense and easily sliced for putting on crackers. It had a slight smoky taste from cooking it in the oven (300 degrees for an hour, then 375 degrees for 15 mins). All in all, very good for first time cheese making, and the fact that it requires few ingredients makes it even better!

We are having some friends up from across the state this weekend, so we are going to make it again on Wednesday.

A few more ideas about what to make cheese with:

1. Roasted jalapenos
2. Habaneros (roasted vs plain)
3. Sun dried tomato and basil (with a nice balsamic vinaigrette)
4. Jalapeno Bacon (oh yeah)
5. Roasted garlic

Just a few thoughts, will let you know what else we come up with!

Ryan M.

Please keep us informed. Your Jalapeno bacon idea is intriguing. Imagine fire roasted jalapenos with that bacon....hmmmm. Feeling kinda Simpson right now. lol

Settled on 4 new cheeses today. Made:

1: Roasted Habanero
2: Roasted Jalapeno
3: Sun Dried Tomato and Roaster Jalapeno
4: Sun Dried Tomato and Basil

I am pretty excited about this go round of cheese making. I noticed a typo in one of my last posts. I actually added only 1.5 tsp of salt to each batch.

I am going to cook all 4 of these cheeses as mentioned in my previous post. I like the texture it makes, and it gives a nice smoky flavor to the cheese.

I am super excited that I cam across this thread! Thanks Brew-Happy!

Ryan M.

(When I have more time, definitely a Jalapeno/Pepper Bacon cheese!)

Settled on 4 new cheeses today. Made:

1: Roasted Habanero
2: Roasted Jalapeno
3: Sun Dried Tomato and Roaster Jalapeno
4: Sun Dried Tomato and Basil

I am pretty excited about this go round of cheese making. I noticed a typo in one of my last posts. I actually added only 1.5 tsp of salt to each batch.

I am going to cook all 4 of these cheeses as mentioned in my previous post. I like the texture it makes, and it gives a nice smoky flavor to the cheese.

I am super excited that I cam across this thread! Thanks Brew-Happy!

Ryan M.

(When I have more time, definitely a Jalapeno/Pepper Bacon cheese!)

Your combo ideas are great. Glad you are excited by this.

You have given me the idea to fire roast some jalapenos for a spicy&smokey cheese... hmmm

Back