Simple hop strainer assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even simpler and sturdy enough to hold any hop bill. 5-gallon paint strainers are cheap at Lowe's.

hopbag6.jpg

:off: Sorry off topic but:

Dude did you give up coffee the morning you cut the lid opening on that keggle?

Hang on one more....

Dude, power tools and drinking should not be done together... That's one drunken looking keggle opening...

Well, I attempted this over the weekend. One lesson learned...

smaller stock pots really are going to need metal not PVC pieces.

Other than the slight melting causing the bag to drop into the wort (I rescued it without spilling much hops) it was EXCELLENT.

As you can see, mine is also more off to the side, and hung with a single hole and a SS S-hook.

full-image.php

Mine is similar to this, except I used two hooks. It melted the PVC a little. I am going to try keeping it up a little higher and off the sides of the BK.

Skip the plastic. Two u-brackets, two threaded rods, four wingnuts, and some office clips. Can't be any easier. No construction beyond twisting wing nuts. Fits any pot.

Bro great idea for a hop strainer looks like it would work well. plus i love the Chiller built in to the kettle saves space. I been looking to get a keg and build a kettle but i beed having a little of a hard time founding one if u can believe that.

here's mine! wish I had this sooner!

0726002307a.jpg

Told my buddy about it (new brewer 1st batch tonight up in NJ so I couldn't be there) and he built this cheap quick version with wire coat hanger and a paint strainer bag. He said it worked great with 3oz of hops and probably good for even more!

wire_hop_strainer.jpg

Mine is pretty simple also.
Paint Strainer bag, SS coupling, 4" PVC pipe and "cup hook". Took about 2 minutes to make is plenty strong.
Hop%20Strainer%20Bag.jpg

I have used mine for 6 batch's now,
I am so happy with it. Cleaning it isnt that hard...

cool thing it is great for, Is if you are adding adjuncts ie brown sugar, spices, coffee, etc..
I have been just throwing them in the bag and its worked like a champ.
One of the Best investments yet! So i tell swmbo :mug:

Will be building one this weekend, in anticipation of brewing a Firestone Walker Union Jack clone next Friday (care of Can You Brew It). Will definitely help with decreasing the hop sludge!

I built mine based on Homebrew58's design the You Tube video. i used a 5" pvc coupling, a 1/2" cpvc pipe through the center, and the clamp and 5 gal. strainer bag. Easy build but a few issues during the boil: the hop bag got so full it slid off the coupling b/c there is no lip to help secure the worm clamp. The coupling needs a channel or a lip to sit on top of to keep it more secure. Also the cpvc pipe was bending like crazy. the other issue was clogging. I recirculate my wort during the boil, so I decided to place the hose inside the bag to help with hop utilization. Well, the bag got so clogged up with hop pellets and hot break sludge that the wort level inside the bag was several inches higher than the wort level outside the bag. It was almost a disaster!

The next time i will add my hops to the boil without the hop strainer bag and then use the pump to recirculate the wort through the bag at flame out. After the entire batch has circulated through the bag i will then run it through the plate chiller. If any one has thoughts on this let me know...

I had the same problem. The hose clamp and bag slipped off the coupling. I added 4 small screws around the bottom edge of the coupling. They act like a rim. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

i made one of these recently, but i also wanted to be able to break it down quickly for storage, (having this 2' threaded rod "+" was not ideal) So i use the threaded rods to hold the hop bag in place, I cut a holes in the bag where the threaded rod goes thru the pvc. After brewing i just loosen and remove the nuts around the pvc collar the bag ans threaded rod arms come off for cleaning and i can store the hole thing in a little drawer in my garage. Oh I used the 4" to 3" pvc adapter.

What about the lower part of panty hose? Don't yet know how it would hold up to boiling temps.. but the mesh is really fine. I'm thinking there would be less fines finding their way thru the normal nylon bags. I'd have an endless supply the way my wife goes thru them with runs around the knees.. she's snagging them on stuff all the time.

I have been using this for about a year now for all my brewing on my all grain system. It works great. I build the one that is near the top of the thread with the 4" PVC fitting and there lengths of rod coming out the sides and the large hose clamp around the neck.

image-276475644.jpg

I am thinking about building the hook design, and only using at the end to 'strain' hops out by re-circulating through it until wort clears up, then running through the plate chiller. anyone doing this ?? anyone done it both ways ??

Back