He said I'm making too much beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
So I was brewing a 10 gallon batch of porter with my father in law this weekend and he said, "why are you brewing 10 gallons? Don't you think that you production is goin to overcome your demand?" I just chuckled and said uh huh.

Happy brewing,
J

Silly non-brewers.

What with friends that come over for samples, family that wants samples, various bottle swaps, beer competitions, and THEN personal consumption... yeah, it goes away fast.

Yeah--- people sometimes get confused when you talk about volume in measurements that they are not used to. 10 gallons is only a little more than 4 cases of beer and is only 2/3 of a half barrel.

Put in those terms it doesn't seem like so much. It's enough for a medium sized party.

"I'm making too much beer"

So I understand each word listed individually up there but it doesn't make sense together in a sentence. It's really the "too much beer" part that I'm struggling with. Is this maybe some sort of code or inside joke I'm just not in on?

I have a drinking problem too, I brew too fast, and dont drink em fast enough.

Just today I realized that im going to need 5 cases of emptys to bottle some stuff pretty soon!! I only drank like 3 beers this week, been kinda sick with this light mild cough now for a month which causes me to constantly be drinking water, beer will only further dehydrate me!

A 10 gallon batch is a bit much, but once you have your established recipe, you know what you want, then its a good idea to do that. As for me....ive made several small batches my biggest is a 5gal extract kit, and I still find that soo bottle consuming!!

Surely you explained that is the ultimate goal!!

I DID!! I told him (as I sipped an overly large liter glass of homebrew lol) that if I brew 10 gallons, it takes the same amount of time that it takes to brew 5. Also, that some beers are better after extended aging/conditioning. I explained that a 5 gallon keg is only 40 beers (he thinks that they're 12 oz beers lol) and that my ultimate goal is to have a sampler of beers on tap. If you think about it, 5 gallons that takes 3 months to make, isn't really that much beer considering how long it takes.

Also, if you suspect someone is trying to "sugercoat" calling you an alcoholic, just start throwing out all the "brewing science" terms you know.

I was telling him that when I get CONVERSION at precisely 152* F, I then vorlouf, take a SG reading which I will float my hydrometer in, of course all after starting my FLY SPARGE and before adding my MALTO DEXTRIN.

No alcoholic would know all that would they?

LOL

A TRUE alcoholic would know exactly all of that information!
:cross:

IF prohibition were in effect. If someone's most violent urge is to consume alcohol, they're not going to take the effort to make it good, and wait 3 months for it to become ready.

Meth-heads know how to make meth because of prohibition. If it were legal, they'd just bum it over the counter.

IF prohibition were in effect. If someone's most violent urge is to consume alcohol, they're not going to take the effort to make it good, and wait 3 months for it to become ready.

Meth-heads know how to make meth because of prohibition. If it were legal, they'd just bum it over the counter.

HEY HEY HEY, if I wait three months to pop the top on a homebrew, but then drink a whole case, am I then an alcoholic?!:ban:

HEY HEY HEY, if I wait three months to pop the top on a homebrew, but then drink a whole case, am I then an alcoholic?!:ban:

NO, you are a binge drinker which is even a worse problem. Deal with your issues, stop the madness - and learn to drink everyday like the rest of us.

-OCD :mug:

Just to be on the safe side if you are indeed making too much brew feel free to ship some my way. ;) Better safe then sorry I guess... LOL

I loved my dad a ton, but if I'm honest, I'm was quite relieved when he died......He took a good portion of my dirty little secrets to the grave, and he stopped pestering me about not making all the bad decisions he made during his own life! :)

Rest in peace dad....By the way, my homebrew rocks! Yours sucked! :D

I loved my dad a ton, but if I'm honest, I'm was quite relieved when he died......He took a good portion of my dirty little secrets to the grave, and he stopped pestering me about not making all the bad decisions he made during his own life! :)

I should be shocked and appalled by this. But coming from LGI, I'm not surprised at all.

I know a fellow homebrewer who does 10 gallon batches every week because he drinks 12 pints per day.

Geez, keep telling me more so I don't feel so bad about my pint or two a day.

Sorry about your loss man, but it's good to hear that your dad lived a great life. I hope I go out being able to say so.

I make a lot of beer and really don't drink all that much. I love the process more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total beer snob and I drink when I want to, but I've probably only been drunk once in the last two months and I don't usually drink anything during the week.

There have to be some functional alcoholics on this board and if I ever got to that point, I'd reconsider this as a hobby. It can be dangerous, and sometimes we have to know what's best for us.

Sincerely,
the fat guy with an eating disorder.

I make a lot of beer and really don't drink all that much. I love the process more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total beer snob and I drink when I want to, but I've probably only been drunk once in the last two months and I don't usually drink anything during the week.

There have to be some functional alcoholics on this board and if I ever got to that point, I'd reconsider this as a hobby. It can be dangerous, and sometimes we have to know what's best for us.

Sincerely,
the fat guy with an eating disorder.

I couldn't agree more. First, I enjoy the hobby much more than I enjoy the drinking part, but that's a plus too. Since I have gotten more and more into the hobby, I have also become more of a snob about what I will drink (quality over quantity.) I typically have one beer a day out of my kegerator, sometimes two, or sometimes none. I hardly ever drink more than 3 even on the weekends. I have family friends/members who have lost their lives to addiction either alcohol or some other type. This is a fun hobby, but don't let your hobby kill you.

NO, you are a binge drinker which is even a worse problem. Deal with your issues, stop the madness - and learn to drink everyday like the rest of us.

-OCD :mug:

If Jenny Craig allows you to "bank" your daily points, we should be allowed to bank our daily beers and make up for it on the weekend. Drinking an average of 2 beers a day sounds much better than drinking 10-14 beers on a Friday/Saturday night. The math is the same by my calculator.

If Jenny Craig allows you to "bank" your daily points, we should be allowed to bank our daily beers and make up for it on the weekend. Drinking an average of 2 beers a day sounds much better than drinking 10-14 beers on a Friday/Saturday night. The math is the same by my calculator.

Sort of. Your body will process beer differently if you are flooding it. Binge drinking is more damaging because of saturation levels. Calorie wise, it would be the same, but I'm sure the effects of the damage would be greater for a binge drinker.

Man, who turned this thread all serious? Drink too much = die. I think we all know that.
Just like we all know we should eat healthy... but don't.

-OCD

I know a fellow homebrewer who does 10 gallon batches every week because he drinks 12 pints per day.

Lite weight!

Might as well drink colt 45.

Seriously though LGI.... your a dark cat. i like that, My personal philosophy is similar.

As for being a drunk..... Do you really want to show up at the tall and pearlies to hear the "You didnt use it all" speech?!?

I brew 10 gallon batches obviously not because I can't drink it all. lol. Whether I drink 1 pint here or 1 pint there, eventually I probably personally consume about 6 gallons of that 10 myself.

HBT prolly not the place to be preachin moderation. Jesus did though believe that the whores and drunkards were his congregation. The saved are kinda a waste of time to preach too. I however will drink too much beer, love women too young and drive too fast. Leave this world too early and laugh at all of you who live less to survive longer.

My country expected me to move further faster and fight harder than any other soldier. The time remaining is mine. Beer broads and fun crammed into a few years is far more desireable than moderation, health and patience dragged out over an eternity!

HBT prolly not the place to be preachin moderation. Jesus did though believe that the whores and drunkards were his congregation. The saved are kinda a waste of time to preach too. I however will drink too much beer, love women too young and drive too fast. Leave this world too early and laugh at all of you who live less to survive longer.

My country expected me to move further faster and fight harder than any other soldier. The time remaining is mine. Beer broads and fun crammed into a few years is far more desireable than moderation, health and patience dragged out over an eternity!

I believe 60 years of moderate fun is better than 5 years of a lot.

Back