Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your dogs have any issues with their anal glands, you want to avoid this.

My russell just does the butt drag when hers don't break, but the rat terrier needs his to be manually squeezed empty now and then. Never seen him even try to do the butt drag, he just licks his ass incessantly when they're full.

Barley & I at the local Irish pub...

jgikaa.jpg

MC

Is that a springer spaniel?

yeast infection is mostly on his undercarriage, his skin is all red and angry-looking, but it bothers him most on the inside of the upper part of his front legs, he'll lie there and lick all day if we didn't try and stop him

his allergies and infected skin is along his flanks

we feed him the fish version of blue buffalo, so I think he's getting some fish oil in his diet

yeast infection is mostly on his undercarriage, his skin is all red and angry-looking, but it bothers him most on the inside of the upper part of his front legs, he'll lie there and lick all day if we didn't try and stop him

his allergies and infected skin is along his flanks

we feed him the fish version of blue buffalo, so I think he's getting some fish oil in his diet

KB has always gotten the fish based Taste of the Wild, but it's not enough. He gets one capsule of fish oil twice a day and it works wonders. We just get the plain fish oil from the pharmacy section at Costco. Same stuff I take.

He didn't know what to do with it at first, so I had to poke a hole in the capsule at first. After that, he realized it was good stuff and he begs for 'em now.

He didn't know what to do with it at first, so I had to poke a hole in the capsule at first. After that, he realized it was good stuff and he begs for 'em now.

Really? I must have had severely uppity dogs over the years.... never had a one want to take ANY type of 'medicine'. That's a good idea tho, I'll try poking the capsule too, see if Moogie will eat it.

I always dip any pills for my dogs in peanut butter. I tried once to just put it in their dog food and lo and behold, when they were done, there was the pill still in the bowl... :smack:

I can get a 4 month supply of fish oil for about 5 bucks at Costco. Fish twice a day... not so cheap. If I'm going to bake fish every day, it'll be for ME!

My dog is 90 lbs.. if I gave him enough baked fish to keep it at bay, I'd be spending $500 a month in fish. ;)

Here where I live, salmon filets are often half the price by weight of ground beef.

We regularly feed our dogs "pulled" chicken mixed with some canned dog food, but now and then tuna and egg. Or salmon. Raw sirloin now and then.

Our idiot dog has allergies too. The vet recommended we give her zyrtec every day. She seems to be less miserable.

Here where I live, salmon filets are often half the price by weight of ground beef.

We regularly feed our dogs "pulled" chicken mixed with some canned dog food, but now and then tuna and egg. Or salmon. Raw sirloin now and then.
I don't think we have the same luxury in Northern VA.. sometimes ground beef gets up as much as $4-6 a lb, ground turkey is about $3 a lb.. I think salmon I've seen for anywhere between $4-7..

highway robbery at the grocery store.

Mallie's story time.

I moved to TX for work back in 2005 , not too long after having to put down my 13 yr old dog that I grew up with due to cancer. I had always been hesitant about getting another one due to living alone, having a 3rd floor apartment and it's not possible for me to come home for lunch every day.

Fast forward to 2012. This dog pops up on my FB page one Friday morning from one of the local shelters that I follow. I had been able to not give in to any of their other almost daily posts up to this point, but she was listed as a code red. She had a URI (upper respiratory infection) and was quarantined and if noone adopted her in 24 hrs, she would be put down.

I resisted and watched, and by about 2:30 PM even though a bunch of people had commented on her, there weren't any takers. I finally just said screw it... messaged them and said I'll pick her up tomorrow by noon (sight-unseen).

I picked her up the next day and already had an appointment scheduled with a vet recommended by a friend. After I took her in, she ended up having...... a common cold. A runny nose. That's what they were calling a URI and going to put her down for. Anywho, 3 years later...she's the best dog you could ask for. Even when she's trying to dig under the fence to go play in the rain with the kids next door.

Muddy Mal

And lounging by the pool, not all muddied up

the Howdy waiting for his walk

and look what he dug up in the backyard! didn't hurt them, but was barking his fool head off at them. can't be mad at him; it's what he was bred to do

and, I'm sorry, any momma bunny burying her young'ns in a Beagle's yard isn't doing her species any favors and really shouldn't expect to contribute to the gene pool anymore.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Moogie enjoying the finally warm and sunny days here in Cincy, with his 'Pookie'. Trusting soul. Never had a dog sun his/her self like this one does. Then he comes in and gets up on my lap and starts snoring worse than I do....."tough day in the sun there, bubba?" View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428925016.304877.jpg

Just sent one of my pups to the great dog park in the sky today. She had finally become too erratically aggressive, occasionally with bloody results, with her sister (two had lived together peacefully for more than five years) that we determined it was not fair to her or Roxy.

MJ did not realistically have a chance for any type of life had my (now ex-) wife not rescued her while I was working in Iraq. After having her skull broken in four places and her jaw in one, a Vet-Med student put her back together then turned her over to rescue agency for adoption. It is likely the variety of behavioral issues she had were related to both brain damage and mental trauma.

10 years later MJ had overcome the majority of her fears and behavioral issues as long as you could maintain a perfect routine with no variances. 18 months ago she began starting fights she could could not finish with her sister. 12 months ago it became violent with MJ getting injured enough for three gashes being glued at the Vet. Multiple smaller incidences happened over the following months and she developed obvious signs of other neurological issues.

MJ had 9 happy years I truly believe no one would have given her but us (she had been returned 4 times to the shelter) and passed at 9 AM this morning with an estimated age of 13. We did all we could but it was her time. I will miss my dented little angel.

MJ.jpg

:(
sorry to hear Unk.... I'm betting somewhere in there she knew she had it good with you, just couldn't help herself.....too much other stuff. I'm sure she's peaceful now, getting her well deserved rest.
You can sleep well knowing you did what most others wouldn't/couldn't, and gave her all those years of a great life.

:(
sorry to hear Unk.... I'm betting somewhere in there she knew she had it good with you, just couldn't help herself.....too much other stuff. I'm sure she's peaceful now, getting her well deserved rest.
You can sleep well knowing you did what most others wouldn't/couldn't, and gave her all those years of a great life.

I think my neighbors said it best:

"She was obviously a happy dog that loved you, her pack mates and life itself. She even knew that what she was doing was counter to everything she loved but something just made it so she could not avoid lashing out."

Fifteen minutes after any fight, she would be cleaning up and mothering the sister she had just attacked.

Thanks to all for their condolences. I will never grow used to having to send a dog to the final sleep but this is the fourth I have had go through it with.

The one I dread the most is still the late-age adoptee who is now over 15. As a Bernese Mountain Dog, he has already defied the natural order of things. In just three short years, he has ruined me for all but other senior giant breeds to adopt.

our Priscilla and Goombah will play with her until you can be together again

‘If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.’
— Will Rogers

Sorry to hear about your pup. I had a close call with mine a couple of years ago and am dreading the day that we're not as fortunate as we were then.

Back