Have you become a beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a beer snob

• No, I prefer a Factory made beer over my own

• Maybe, I am split down the middle

• I only drink beers with a label to find the next beer I am going to clone

• Yes, I have not had a beer other than my own in quite some time

Results are only viewable after voting.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I went to Bevmo this weekend because I had to return a keg of SNPA that I had forever from a friend giving it to me to finish off.

Anyways, I was doing a little shopping as I also had a gift certificate there and I found myself having a really tough time finding something that I wanted will all of their selection. I know it's not huge, but it is a descent selection. I find myself looking at beers that I have liked for a long time and thinking, I really don't feel like that or don't want it anymore while thinking, I can brew that, there is no sense in buying it.

I saw that New Belguim had a beer that I had never had, a Pale Ale, forget the name though and Lost Coasts, Great White was on sale, but ended up saying no to that too. Anyways, I ended up with a couple of German beers as I wanted to try a Amber lager and I forget the other one of course, and I also got some Full Sale Amber as I really felt like an Amber that day. After the first drink, I thought to myself, this doesn't taste as good as I remember :(

So, are you a beer snob?

Definitely. Although I can drink just about anything, I recently bought a 12 pack of Bass that I used to think had a great flavor. Now not so much. Yeah, I still drink it, but I'm more into American hops now and Bass just isn't that yummy like it was last year.

I'm not up to the point where I am confident that I can brew lots of different beers as good as I can buy them, but I certainly can brew some things better than others.

My tongue is still a bit sore from when we went to the bar and grill and the waitress said they have pretty much all the beers. They have maybe 3 beers that I'd order without getting upset and none that I would be happy about. Well, Sam Adam's Winter Lager is actually pretty good.

I can't answer that. I want the option for no. I drink a lot of beer and love my homebrew.

Not a snob at all. I just prefer my own beer. I have several commercial in the fridge and they always get passed up for my own.

When I do shop, I only pick up something I have either not tried or don;t remember trying it. And I am not above getting a Bud at restaurant.

Definitely a beer snob, but i don't think those choices are any that describes a beer snob. My beer's don't compare to my favorite commercials. I'm no where close to brewing Chimay, Rochefort, Orval, ect, but just cause I can't personally brew it doesn't mean I'm not a self proclaimed beer snob, But not the kind to put down other people's beer choices. Thats just being a dick.

Your right, snob is a pretty harsh word, I mean we all love beer, some more than others. Maybe I should change it to "are you a beer connoisseur?"

I think I was for the first 6 months of homebrewing, thats when I scoffed at BMC crap and really started to turn my nose up. Since then I have come to appreciate all beers, yes even some of the BMC offerings. Beer is wonderful, I love the hobby and love the community. I consider myself a "Beer Advocate" more then anything else. (yes I know of the site)

I guess the answer is yes.
photo12299885766232940uu2.jpg

My wife says I am.......
We went out to eat a while back, I asked the waiter what they had on tap..... "everything" he says.... should have seen the look on his face when I asked for 20 beers they didn't have....

I find that I have become quite the opposite of a snob. I've known guys that think bud or miller is the best thing out there and that it is not worth their time to try any other type of beer. I try to enjoy all sorts of styles, some styles I just don't care for, others I love and try to brew.

I probably am. I don't only drink my homebrew though. I do stick to craft brews whenever possible if I'm drinking commercial though. I choose to drink the beer that I like and if I have to pay a little more for it I'm ok with that.

I don't begrudge others for drinking whatever they want though.

I love my homebrew, but somethings are out of my reach. You can have clones of every kind of beer, but it is never perfect.(Samual Smiths Oatmeal Stout is my nemesis) I enjoy commercial, homebrew and everything in between. Even Bud's American Ale isn't too bad, I like it quite a bit. And it's always fun to pick a style and buy 12 different varieties of it. :D

I was a beer snob for maybe the first year or so that I was in this hobby. I think I've kind of grown out of it though, in a way. I quit buying craft beer last fall when I started kegging, and even though I still drink probably a 12-pack of Busch or Busch Light every couple of weeks I don't think I'm snobby about beer anymore. I like to try a new craft beer if we go out for dinner, or have something new on tap when its available, but I won't turn up my nose at a Bud or Miller either. I won't pay $9 or more for a six pack either. Beer is just beer, and being snobby about what you think someone else should like or not like is just gaytarded.

This should say, "Are you a homebrew snob" because I am a beer snob through and through, but not because I only drink beer I make. I make beer styles to try and get close to something interesting, and then I often give most of it away. I'd much rather drink something out of my reach brewing-wise most of the time. Sure, I've made some beer I could drink all day long, and the beer I make is good, but I am really picky.

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I love all kinds of beers and drink as much commercial brew as my own. If I'm out somewhere and want a beer and BMC is the only thing available, I'm going to have one.

I haven't bought commercial beer for a while, except on tap at SN. Seems kind of silly with 4 different beers on tap, and 3 more just waiting for space in the kegerator. OTOH, every now and then I get bored with my own beer and buy some commercial stuff to inspire me. But, lately my inspiration has come from the guys at my local homebrew club. Not only do I get great ideas, but they'll share the recipe with me and give me good tips as well! I don't have anything against commercial beers, but I'm finding quite the variety being "off the grid". :mug:

Oh, I would like to add that everyone I know hangs out at a good beer bar, and being social is a good thing. If I was just sitting at home all the time, maybe I'd drink more of the beer I made.

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I love all kinds of beers and drink as much commercial brew as my own. If I'm out somewhere and want a beer and BMC is the only thing available, I'm going to have one.

I totally agree with you there, but I definitely try to get something I have never had or something I know I will enjoy.

Your right, snob is a pretty harsh word, I mean we all love beer, some more than others. Maybe I should change it to "are you a beer connoisseur?"

Nah, that's not the issue with the way the poll is worded. The problem is that there are plenty of craft beers out there that are just plain better than what 99% of us are brewing at home. Rogue, Dogfish, Stone, _____ (insert any of a 100 different breweries)

Your poll refers only to preferring your own homebrew.

Taking your poll in the spirit in which it is intended, hell yeah I am a snob when it means that I choose to drink only the best beer that I can find. I also choose to skip beer when my only choice is one which I don't like.

BUT!! a beer snob is someone who looks down on someone else for the beer that they drink. And I am definitely not one of those. I absolutely do not judge any BMC drinker for loving their choice.

I also don't blame waiters for the choices of beer that their restaurant offers. Personally I agree that beer snobs in this sense are dicks and deserve to have their food spit in.

I like my own.. but constantly search for inspiration. And it makes me incredibly happy when I walk into a bar and see the beautiful PBR tap staring back at me. So, I guess I am not a snob...

I agree with dontman. Whenever I am out I will try to get the best beer I can or one I have never had. But we should not look down on people who choose to drink BMC that is there choice. My father has been a Budweiser drinker ever since I can remember, but I don't care, although he will bust out a good Belgian ever once and awhile. I asked him one time "Dad why do you drink Bud? Well son its the King of beers, it says it right there on the label" Oh Dad you never fail to amaze me.

This should say, "Are you a homebrew snob" because I am a beer snob through and through

I'm with you.
I've been a beer snob since my teens. At parties, I'd drink the big cooler of screwdrivers before drinking BMC. I was the guy who shelled out for his own beer to the junior who looked 21. Usually Guinness.
When I turned 21, i discovered Sam, Harpoon, Sam Smith's, Saranac. I wouldn't even associate with anyone who drank BMC.
Now that I'm a bit wiser (y'know, older) I will even purchase an MGD for myself if that's what's available. But I still seak out the micros and crafts and never buy BMC in a store, unless my roommate asks me to get her a 30pk.
I still rib everyone I know who drinks BMC. Only now it's good natured humor, instead of pure scorn.

I don't personally think I am but my wife would say so.

I get pissed about bad restaurant service, as has to do with pet-peeves about serving beer. (Frosty glasses, pints that aren't pints, and really ignorant servers.)

I realize most people will not know what I know unless I'm at a micro. My expectation level is low everywhere else.

I get annoyed when I request something simple and reasonable and I don't get that. Like a non-frosted glass, the beer list, and the wrong beer. OR a beer imposter.

Micro's that make-up beers by mixing two. Ea. Irish Red - 50% Bock & 50% Miller Lite. :mad:
My dog is turning into a beer-cookie snob. He has a stash of these dog cookies; Helles, Pilsner, Ordinary Bitter. :D

I'm on the fence...I find that my expectations dictate my level of disappointment. For instance, when I'm at a squadron social function and they have kegs of yuengling, this pleases me because I would have expected bud light. When I'm at the bonefish grill and they have sam adams seasonal, SNPA, and BMC, I'm disappointed.

As far as buying commercial beer for home consumption, I haven't done that since I finished my keezer collar.

I probably am. I don't only drink my homebrew though. I do stick to craft brews whenever possible if I'm drinking commercial though. I choose to drink the beer that I like and if I have to pay a little more for it I'm ok with that.

I don't begrudge others for drinking whatever they want though.

I'm the same way. If someone really loves BMC products and that's all they want to drink, fine with me. More craft/home brew for the rest of us!

I definitely drink more purchased beer than my homebrew (partly because I don't have the time to brew as much as I consume :drunk:). I love to try new micros and will spend hours at my local liquor store searching through their hundreds of beer varieties for new beers to sample. However there are also times when I'm in the mood for a Bud or other macro. I'll even fess up that I like Tequiza and Chill in the summertime :eek:. The only time I really get "snobby" is when I go out to a restaurant looking forward to a good meal and a nice draft and all they have to offer is BMC - then I'm ticked!

Is it possible to be a beer snob but still really enjoy an ice cold PBR on a hot day?

I guess i'm a beer snob, but i'm not picky.

Back