Can we stop using Pop Psychology to define our brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No one is or should be Anal about sanitation.
This is short for anal retentive. Its a stage in Freudian theory that you are supposed to emerge from and move on. If you were truly anal about brewing sanitation, you would be doing so at the detriment of the rest of your process as well as being annoying. Being anal retentive is a bad thing. It's a character flaw. Be meticulous or thorough on the extreme end or maybe just be expedient. If you are, in fact, anal then you are doing it wrong. In fact log off now and go re-clean something

No one is obsessed with brewing or addicted to brewing.
Again, if you are, why are you reading? Seek help.

As an Architect... I loathe hearing the word "pop". Such as... "That will make this space pop." I've learned to deal with it and move on. We all have our pet peeves. I personally obsess sometimes about homebrewing as well as other hobbies and have no problem saying so. From dictionary.com - Obsess - to think about something unceasingly or persistently. That doesn't state forever or that it's a constant mental state, but in some moments, I think about homebrewing/other hobbies persistently... so I feel the word fits.

Well maybe he is right, we really should stop logging onto this site with all of our fellow brewers and try to convey our joy for the hobby we all share.

+1

The use of terminology constantly changes with use and cultural changes. If that did not change humans would be communicating with a series of grunts and gestures.

RDWHAHB!

You would never correct someone who said something like, "I like Miller light because it is triple hopped." because Miller is trying to re-define what that actually means.

You would never correct someone that characterized your brewing as being made in a bathtub.

FYI:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-new-license-plates-107054/index2.html#post1398479

I think I'm down with the RDWHAHB

As much as I hate to moderate my own thread, I'm asking that you stay on topic. I present a brewing topic in the correct forum with sincerity. I think when we throw around these terms without thoughts as to their actual meaning, we denigrate the hobby.

There are plenty of neo-prohibitionists that love that we characterize our hobby as an affliction. I think the Freudian association is, well Freudian.

The word "anal" has been used in this context for years. Hearing it used that way is not a new thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a single person who didn't know what was meant when using the word in this way.

That's right I've seen that thread, you are a very lucky man.

Why does it bother you so much? It's just people expressing themselves and especially in the beginning this hobby is very exciting.

For me, I don't care much for social networking (no myspace/facebook stuff), never really bothered with much online. When I started homebrewing I grabbed a free old laptop from friend (didn't own a comp) and purchased internet service for my home, which I have never felt the need for, and since then I'm online just about everyday reading as much info about brewing as well as all the fun BS socializing that goes on on here. That along with dumping my wallet into the hobby I feel that obsessed is a reasonable term to use.

As much as I hate to moderate my own thread, I'm asking that you stay on topic. I present a brewing topic in the correct forum with sincerity. I think when we throw around these terms without thoughts as to their actual meaning, we denigrate the hobby.

There are plenty of neo-prohibitionists that love that we characterize our hobby as an affliction. I think the Freudian association is, well Freudian.

I have to use pop psychology to define myself and my brewing, as I don't know any other kind of psychology!

I'm obsessed with brewing, I think. Maybe not in the true psychological meaning, but I think about it often. I talk about it way too much. When I'm not brewing, I'm usually reading about brewing. Or doing brewing tasks. I'm making up recipes for the future. I'm drinking homebrew. I'm on this forum all the time. So, I think that "obsessed" might be a way to describe my dedication to this hobby!

I have other hobbies that I enjoy. The brewing seems to be far more part of my day-to-day life, though.

If not "obsessed" with brewing, what words would I use to describe the devotion to it? That's the hard part.

If I say, "I'm obsessed with brewing", while it might not be truly correct in the actual meaning, other people will understand the connotation.

I do not understand the need to point it out. It is one of many and do not even get me started on the use of the word "epic" to describe everything from a fat chick falling down to an old man beating a kid. Thats just life ignore, conform, or go bat ****.

The word "anal" has been used in this context for years. Hearing it used that way is not a new thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a single person who didn't know what was meant when using the word in this way.

I agree that it has in this community, but not everywhere. It's also about context. We think nothing about calling someone a scumbag, but it literally means condom.

If someone in the your community calls you a scumbag, it's quite different than if a 7 year old did. We have new people coming to the community all the time.

Aren't we all about being correct. I'm not sure what Dogma we can't all get past. Is everyone really hung up on those words?

We think nothing about calling someone a scumbag, but it literally means condom.

really? i never knew that.

Aren't we all about being correct. I'm not sure what Dogma we can't all get past. Is everyone really hung up on those words?

it seems like you're the only one hung up about it. the things you mentioned in the OP are not specific to the brewing community at all. Go to a jeep forum and there will be "obsessed" people. motorcycle forum. furry forum.

That's right I've seen that thread, you are a very lucky man.

Why does it bother you so much? It's just people expressing themselves and especially in the beginning this hobby is very exciting.

For me, I don't care much for social networking (no myspace/facebook stuff), never really bothered with much online. When I started homebrewing I grabbed a free old laptop from friend (didn't own a comp) and purchased internet service for my home, which I have never felt the need for, and since then I'm online just about everyday reading as much info about brewing as well as all the fun BS socializing that goes on on here. That along with dumping my wallet into the hobby I feel that obsessed is a reasonable term to use.

It bothered me enough to finally after 6 years on this board and 20 years of brewing to say so. Er. ya. I guess I have a problem eh.
I know there was a thread about calling yeast yeasties and an entire thread on "disfluencies" we all hate.

I've clearly struck a nerve here. If I may use a psych term, (and this is the correct usage BS degee) I think there is some projection going on.

I've clearly struck a nerve here. If I may use a psych term, (and this is the correct usage BS degee) I think there is some projection going on.

Nah, you didn't strike a nerve with me. I just felt like my second post in the thread was kinda dickish so I wanted elaborate on what I meant and why I disagree.

How do you call people out on a pedantic rant about correct usage of a word whose definition or at least connotation has changed, and then when people say "hey chill out, no one else cares and these words are used this way all the time" you impute projection? I don't think anyone's butt-hurt, just expressing the fact that a lot of us don't get riled up by the use of the words "anal" or "obsessed" in a not-strictly-correct sense. I get it; I too get unduly riled up about incorrect usage or grammar sometimes. But it's the internet.

I'm obsessed with brewing.

"To preoccupy the mind of excessively.

I have to force myself to slow down and find something else to think about. It's usually sex, though. :(

My previous post was just for Shizz & giggles,nothin serious. I just started calling them yeasties early last year,thinking "how would mr scott say this?" lolz. It's just a sort of insider goof. Di' ya not know bout the yeasties,boyo? :D

Nah, you didn't strike a nerve with me. I just felt like my second post in the thread was kinda dickish so I wanted elaborate on what I meant and why I disagree.

The second sentence was about the general tenor of the replies and not you specifically.

Did you really think that my quote in a football smack thread is indicative or instructive of anything being discussed?

um, yeah.

your OP was about being 100% correct in our choice of terminology for whatever reason.

are you saying there are now rules around this (namely, you don't apply)?

are you by any chance a psychologist?

It bothered me enough to finally after 6 years on this board and 20 years of brewing to say so. Er. ya. I guess I have a problem eh.
I know there was a thread about calling yeast yeasties and an entire thread on "disfluencies" we all hate.

So now we have to watch what we say in this informal setting because some of the terms used upset you? How about instead you allow people to write whatever they want, and if it annoys you so much, don't continue to read the threads here.

You have to realize that this forum has people posting from all over the world, we all have different levels of education, and come from different backgrounds. We are all basically here for the same reason--to learn and share our experiences with home brewing. I am sorry if as a collective group, our use of terms and laid back atmosphere upsets you, nobody forces to come here. If you don't like it, don't come here.

Let it go. Not everyone has a BS in psychology. The field of psychology is revealed to the rest of us through popular ("pop") references, and that's OK. No one is obsessed over "keeping" these words -- they are used in passing and they successfully communicate shared ideas (well, I guess not to those with bachelor degrees in psychology, ha).

your OP was about being 100% correct in our choice of terminology for whatever reason. are you saying there are now rules around this (namely, you don't apply)?

In fact, it was not. I asked if we could stop. It was a question. I then discussed the origin of the word and pointed out how the current usage is at odds.

Boy,this is gettin weird. All happy holidays for a while,now three threads at the top of the same forum sounded like folks got a burr under their saddles at the same time. In my 1st post,I was just havin a little fun with how it was said,like George Carlin used to do. Just couldn't resist goofin on it for shizz & giggles.

Back