DME primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Since DME is more convertable to the yeast than corn sugar, (dextrose vs glucose), if I use DME for a priming sugar will the beer carbonate quicker? Just wondering......

DME is maltose, not dextrose. Dextrose (corn sugar) is the usual choice for priming.

You can use DME for priming, however you will use more DME to acheive the same level of carbonation compared to dextrose- and carbonation will be much slower.

"Corn Syrup is not dextrose, it is derived from Corn Starch and is mostly glucose. As such I am not sure how well it will do as a starter. Glucose is fermentable and all but I think it is a harder sugar for yeast to break down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Tenchiro : 11-29-2008 at 02:22 PM. "

Sorry, as you can see I got some bad info from another thread. Thanks for the correction.

"Corn Syrup is not dextrose, it is derived from Corn Starch and is mostly glucose. As such I am not sure how well it will do as a starter. Glucose is fermentable and all but I think it is a harder sugar for yeast to break down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Tenchiro : 11-29-2008 at 02:22 PM. "

Sorry, as you can see I got some bad info from another thread. Thanks for the correction.

Corn syrup does not equal corn sugar (dextrose). Dextrose is the dry sugar that you get from your LHBS or online retailer, not Karo. Tenchiro gave you accurate information, you just misinterpreted it.

Corn syrup does not equal corn sugar (dextrose). Dextrose is the dry sugar that you get from your LHBS or online retailer, not Karo.

Right. Corn sugar (dextrose) is fine for priming, and even for using as an ingredient in beer. Corn syrup is not the same thing- not even close. I'd keep corn syrup far away from my brew!

Latest posts

Back