Quick double check.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Heyo,

My first batch went in 1 week ago, the red irish ale kit from morebeer.com

Recipe:
7lb Ultralight Malt LME
Grains:
1lb Crystal 120L
8oz Aromatic
8oz Caramunich
2oz Black Roaster
2oz Special B.

OG: 1.054

I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees F and saw action in the airlock after about 12 hours. It continued through the next day and then stopped. There was a yeast cake on the bottom and krausen around the rim of the bucket (although no floating krausen on top of the "beer") However, there were still bubbles on the surface so I figured I was ok.

I was concerned that I had perhaps pitched too little yeast (1 packet S-04) when all noticeable activity stopped after 36 hours (seems normal, but I panicked anyway.)

I took my FG reading today and it registered around 1.014... all signs point to a complete fermentation, however the scientific reading disagrees.

This brings me to the big question: rehydrate and pitch another packet of yeast? or let it be?

1 packet of dried yeast is usually sufficient for 5 gallon batch. At 1.014 it is most likely finished, check again in a few days to see if it goes down. Right now it is 5.2% ABV. Extra time in the primary won't hurt it.

74% attenuation is just fine with an extract and that much steeping grains.

At any rate, give that beer at least another 5-7 days in the primary and then 2-3 weeks in a secondary (or just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks).

Back