Ginger bug problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMG

Reaction score
I've made ginger bug as per the instructions that appear repeatedly on the net. It's been on the go for seven days now it's lively as he'll and can be heard fizzing away happily. The problem is when I add it to my soda liquid it seems to fall flat. I do get a minimal amount of carbonation but nothing to write home about. Any ideas ?

hmm, What type of soda are you making with it? and what is the temprature you let it ferment at/bottle ferment, if the temperature is too low it may take a while longer for it to really get going.

How long are you waiting for carbonation? There's an enormous amount of variability between ginger bugs. Sometimes mine can take 3 weeks to reach an appropriate level of carbonation.

That's interesting to hear. All of the articles on line (and I have read many) suggest that the bottle should be capped and would be ready to be chilled anywhere between 12 hours and two days. I waited two days with the first attempt and as you will know the result is what lead me here. In the meantime I tried again and employed the use of a water bath (a large cooking pot with some warn water in) and I have noticed that the bottle is so much tighter already so I suppose the answer to my problem was a little warmer environment and patience. I do make my own cider and carbonate that, should I expect the soda bottle to become as tight as the cider bottles do or dies it not work like that?

Yeah, I've read that all over the internet, and I'm not sure where it originates.

In Wild Fermentation, Sandor Katz recommends two weeks, and I've found that to be approximately correct for me. All the same I do always fill one plastic bottle.

Thanks thats a great help. Just goes to show how inaccurate information is so widely spread on the net.

Back