Removing Rootlets When Malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloster

Reaction score
Ok. I get how to remove the rootlets of sprouted buckwheat, but how would one remove them from sprouted quinoa? The seeds are so tiny that I don't think any mesh strainer could do the job. Any suggestions? Could I just roast the quinoa as I liked and brew a beer with some of the rootlets attached?

You don't want the roots in your beer. Try some and you'll see that they taste awful. After you've kilned your grain, put it into a pillow case, tie it shut and give it a spin in the dryer (no heat). The roots should break off and you can separate them with a strainer.

Definitely. I'll keep them out of my beer. I've got the steps you gave me, but I don't think any strainer is going to be fine enough to separate grains as tiny as quinoa from their roots. That was my question.

Winnowing should work if the quinoa is heavier than the rootlets. Drop the mix through a slight breeze or fan created wind stream, the roots blow away, you catch the seeds in a basket or on a sheet below, etc. You may have to do it a couple of times.

Winnowing should work if the quinoa is heavier than the rootlets. Drop the mix through a slight breeze or fan created wind stream, the roots blow away, you catch the seeds in a basket or on a sheet below, etc. You may have to do it a couple of times.

Agreed. If your mesh isn't fine enough, this method works.

Back