Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewser09

Reaction score
So i put together an Edworts Apfelweizen and followed the directions to a t and used a 5 gallon glass carboy and I got one of those orange toppers for it instead of a traditional bung. Long story short its fermenting like crazy but no activity in the airlock. So obviously its not a perfect seal. What do i do?? Can i go six weeks with that bung or should I purchase a better bung for it. Any help would be appreciated.

those orange caps are hit-or-miss. i have a couple that work fine and a couple that have trouble sealing.

for the very beginning of fermentation it should not matter as you will have plenty of co2 escaping, preventing anything else from getting in. you will need to have a better bung when it slows, however, to prevent oxygen or anything else from meandering in there. You can use a drilled stopper. I believe the glass carboys take a # 8.

Latest posts

Back