turbo yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya, I figured it was bad news - scary that anybody can get it...... I wonder if they sell it to KIDS too, egads........

ya, I figured it was bad news - scary that anybody can get it...... I wonder if they sell it to KIDS too, egads........

What difference does it make? It's just yeast...and a ton of nutrient. If a kid is interrested...they will sooner or later figure out to put some bread yeast in a bottle of welches grape juice and let the lit leak the co2.

^We all had to start somewhere lol

I started with 5 gallons of welchs though.

One lightly documented feature of turbo yeasts, it can easily generate enough heat to kill itself. This is above and beyond the long-chain alcohols that are poisonous. So, you can end up with a jug of lethal sewage. The only time I've used it was to dry out a very high gravity barleywine. Wasn't impressed with its performance relative to champagne yeast. With the new high gravity ale yeasts available, not much need any more.

As I've said previously I envy your range of yeast choices over there, however the shame of it all for me is if I want choice here the range of turbos is enormous.
Real yeasts tho are damn limited.
As the BK said even distillers don't use it. Hooch makers and other desperates do, but real distillers don't and from my readings here and there turbos are something I just wouldn't bother with.
(Wish I had your choices tho :D )

Back