Which false bottom to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Building a new mash tun out of a keg. Question is what should I use for a false bottom? Sanke Keg false bottom, Bazooka Tube, etc... I have the two mentioned on hand now. Problem I forsee using the Sanke false bottom is I plan to direct fire my mash tun and without a pump I have no way to recirculate all the hot liquid that will get trapped underneath. Bazooka tube seems like it should work well. What's your thoughts guys and gals? Efficiency thoughts?

i bought the b-t... i havent used it yet.. but seems like it should be nice to use.. sorry i know that doesnt help you.. lol

Yeah, false bottoms are nice, but, like you say, you get the liquid at the bottom that will end up caramelized. That can add a nice flavor, but not always ideal. Anyways, if I had the choice, I'd go with the tube. I have 2 separate vessels, with the lauter tun set up as you mention with a SS tube-works great.

Back