Blueberries in Apfewein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I did a quick search, but nothing turned up. Im going to try some frozen blueberries in this batch of Apfelwein. Will the blueberries add any flavor to the wine? Should I add the blueberries before I pitch my yeast, and let them stay in the whole time? Or should I wait a bit, and put them in say after two weeks or so?

Well, my blueberry cider is very much like Apfelwein with blueberries, but with different sugar additives. There are those that argue that you should put them in for primary fermentation and those that argue secondary. My solution? both. I put 4 lbs of blueberries in primary and will rack onto another 3 or 4 lbs of blueberries when I rack to secondary.

One thing you do need to deal with is volume loss, once the blueberries are removed, they tend to take a lot of liquid with them through absorption. So try to over shoot your final volume with initial must. I have about 6 full gallons right now and only expect to get about 5 gallons when I am finally ready to bottle.

Back