Making Munich Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
I have about 15 lbs of pilsen extract in my fridge, but several of the recipes that I am thinking of brewing call for Munich malt extract. I assume that I could just steep some munich grains to change make my own munich malt but I am not sure how much of the grain to use. Is there a formula that I can use (ie grains per pound of malt extract)?

Thanks

You can purchase Munich malt extract at some LHBS or online. Search yahoo. Here's one - page down:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/malt-extract.html

Although, it would just be much easier (or at least much cheaper) for you to learn to partial mash and mash your own munich grain to get the sugars extracted - kind of as you discussed above.

How much munich does the recipe call for?

Munich malt extract would be made from JUST munich. You can't just steep munich, it needs conversion so you have to mash it. Mashing some munich with a bunch of pilsener extract is not going to be anywhere close to the same as using munich extract in the first place.

I second the above recommendation to do a partial mash with munich malt.

For every pound of Munch LME needed do a mini-mash (nothing more than steeping at 152F) of one pound of Munich. If the recipe calls for DME, use 1.25 pounds of grain.

Munch does not require any base 2-row, it can convert itself.

I was thinking of doing a Baltic Porter, which calls for almost 9lbs of Munich malt extract. I was hoping to use my pilsen extract though, and add some steeping grains to try to achieve a similar flavor. :(

So you agree that this would be the best substitute? Do you think this will make a decent base for a Baltic Porter?

Back