Witbier Belgian Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP400
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2.5 weeks @ 67F slowley ramped to 72F after 3 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Alittle tart nice yeast charter and citrus flavor!
I wanted to make a good wheat beer for summer even though i typically haven't liked most wheat beers that I have tried. After some research i decided to make a traditional witbier This is what I came up with and I love it!!!

Ingredients
5lbs. 2-Row
4lbs. Flaked Wheat
1lbs. White Wheat
.5lbs Flaked Oats

1oz. Hallertau 4.1AA (60min)
.5oz. Orange Peel (bitter) (5min)
.35 oz Indian Coriander (5min)

WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast

BIAB Mash @ 150 for 90 min
Mash-out @ 175 for 10 min

Cracked the coriander in a baggie with a plate. I also used a separate hop bag for the orange peel and coriander at the end of the boil i removed the bag with the hops, but let the orange peel & coriander steep for and additional 10-15 min while i chilled the wort.
I used no finings and made no effort to keep trub out of the fermenter ( I wanted it as cloudy as possible..)

Fermented @ 67 and slowly started ramping the temp up to 72 after 3 days

I am very happy with the results of this brew! It's very refreshing and it has a very good yeasty character..

GEDC0142.jpg

GEDC0147.jpg

Looks pretty close to the house wit I brew for SWMBO... A great addition as the temperature starts to climb.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hi budd, 2 questions for ya. Is the recipe supposed to say3.5 ounces of coriander? And how long was the total fermentation? Thanks. Looks awesome!

Hi budd, 2 questions for ya. Is the recipe supposed to say3.5 ounces of coriander? And how long was the total fermentation? Thanks. Looks awesome!

no it is .35oz or 9.92 grams I likely used 10 grams coriander is a pretty strong flavor

same with the orange peel .5oz or 14 grams

I used Indian coriander from the Indian grocery store Indian coriander tends to give that citrus flavor people associate with a classic witbier, whereas regular coriander can be more celery like or hammy. The citrus flavor comes more from the coriander than the orange peel but you do not want to over do it too much and it can get celery like too and kind of taste soupy... you don't want that

Here is a pic to show you Indian coriander you can likely get it at an Indian/Pac grocery or Amazon Indian is on the right.
coriandercomparison.jpg

In your recipe it shows 4 lbs of flaked wheat and only one lb of white wheat malt. Is this correct for your recipe or should these be switched around?

It is correct the flaked wheat gives the characteristics of using unmalted wheat but allows for a single infusion mash.

Unmalted wheat is traditionally used in witbier, it will give a better haze and wheat flavor to the beer.

Is it possiable to make this into a extract recipe?

Sorry, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but with all the flaked grains in this particular recipe I believe you would at the very least have to do a partial mash to get something close to this same recipe.

You can use a light wheat malt extract for the wheat in an extract recipe. The oats are *almost* unnecessary. But yeah, if you want to do this as listed, you'd need to mash the oats with some grain that has diastatic power. A cereal mash.

I've heard rumor that Pierre Celis used a bit of chamomile in the Hoegaarden recipe.

Just brewed this today, except with 0.5oz of regular corriander (not Indian) and 0.35oz of bitter orange peel (I'm not the biggest fan of orange peel, and the stuff I got seemed particularly bitter...).

I used harvested Hoegaarden yeast instead of WLP400 (though I've been told it's the same strain...I just can't get WLP400 easily where I'm from...).

My OG was just the slightest bit short (1.049), but I'm still working out kinks in my system.

The wort tasted good! I just pitched a few hours ago, but I will keep you posted as to how this turns out.

Back