Carbonation in my beer seems low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
Was my first batch.

OG was around 1.045
FG 1.014

Bottling volume was 5.55GAL.

It's a Southern English Brown ale. According to the style it should "low" in terms of carbonation. So I calculated 2.3 Carbonation volume using BeerSmith. I think I used 4.2oz by weigh of Corn Sugar.

After 3.5 week when I open my bottle I have a nice "Pssshh". I get a nice head that form when I pour my beer. I see bubble coming from the bottom of my glass. It doesn't taste like green beer like it did after 14 days.

Question/problem is: I feel that the carbonation is "low". Lower than was I expected from 2.3 carbonation volume. I know it's a feeling that we cannot compare but do you feel that 2.3 is low?

Also does feeling of carbonation change when your FG is higher? Like 2.3 in a 1.005 FG would feel stronger than a beer with a FG of 1.015.

Not exactly sure how to answer your questions, so I'll just convey a little information:

1. Your desired 2.3 volumes may be within style, but that is in the lower part of the scale for "standard" on ales and similar beers. I've seen 2.2-2.6 volumes quoted.

2. Generally (at least in America) people are used to "fizzy yellow beer" which is overcarbed to style.

I guess what I am saying is that I think what you have is probably "right", but you are used to having "wrong" beer.

Also it will probably change a bit more in the next few weeks. Could be temp dependent as well. Dd you store at 70 for 3 weeks min and then store in the fridge at least a couple of days?

It was stored for 3.5 week at 68 or so.

Yes maybe I'm used to overcarbed beer. But I get the feeling that once I poured my beer, it gets flat really quick. Maybe it's because overcarbed beer feel less flat after the same amount of time because they are higher in carbonation volume.

Might all be just me that get it wrong completely. I'll let it rest for a while to see if carbonation will raise.

But does the carbonation feeling change with beer with a higher FG?

How long did you put the beers at fridge temps before you started serving? At 68F, there will be quite a bit of CO2 in the headspace of the bottle that can't dissolve into the beer until it's at lower temps. It takes about 48 hours for that CO2 in the headspace to completely dissolve into the beer.

How long did you put the beers at fridge temps before you started serving? At 68F, there will be quite a bit of CO2 in the headspace of the bottle that can't dissolve into the beer until it's at lower temps. It takes about 48 hours for that CO2 in the headspace to completely dissolve into the beer.

oh really? Those I tasted at 3.5 weeks have been in the fridge for less than 5 hours. Just enough to get them cold to drink.

Yeah, what TopherM said is spot on in my experience. Putting my beers in the fridge for at least 2 days really seemed to help out the carbonation. Give that a shot and see what you think.

I sure will do that!

In the meantime does anyone know if FG affect the carbonation feeling in the beer? Other than maybe make it longer to carb?

While I don't think FG will affect actual carbonation, it can certainly affect "mouth feel." Something with a 1.018 FG will definitely feel different than a beer with a 1.000 FG.

Yeah, what TopherM said is spot on in my experience. Putting my beers in the fridge for at least 2 days really seemed to help out the carbonation. Give that a shot and see what you think.

+1. I've gotten now to where I see the benefit of 3+ days fridge after 3-4 weeks or more at 70*F.

Hey just to let you know guys, storing in the fridge for 2 days made the difference!

When I open my bottle the "Psshh" is less strong, so I guess that also mean I lost less CO2 ;)

Hey just to let you know guys, storing in the fridge for 2 days made the difference!

When I open my bottle the "Psshh" is less strong, so I guess that also mean I lost less CO2 ;)

Glad to see that you saw the difference. Try leaving one alone in the fridge for a week and you'll see even more of an improvement vs. the 2-day one. I've found this to be especially true of my darker, lower-carbonation styles.

It's a Southern English Brown ale. According to the style it should "low" in terms of carbonation
ha2.jpg

It is, and this is why I carbed to 2.3 (In Britain they also serves it as low as 1.5 if I read correctly). But my problem was that it didn't feel like 2.3 in my bottle. I was not complaining that I don't like the low carb ;)

It's a Southern English Ale.
Not only should it have low carbonation, it should also not be refrigerated. It should be drunk at cellar temperature (55 - 57F)

-a.

It's a Southern English Ale.
Not only should it have low carbonation, it should also not be refrigerated. It should be drunk at cellar temperature (55 - 57F)

-a.

+1.

Unfortunately, I can't run my keezer at that temp due to the two other kegs in there. I have to dispense the English Brown and then let it warm a bit by holding the glass in my hands.

Back