FirstGear Thermo and a Scorpion EXO-900.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else use these and have first hand comments?

I sprung for both today based on reviews. Have never worn a full face helmet before and liked the modular aspect. Getting tired of my 3/4 fogging up cause my balaclava directs my breath up into the shield.

Does it have a breath blocker on the inside that sits in front of your nose and behind the exterior visor? If not it may still fog up at a stop.

You must post a full review of the gear. Been eying those scorpions.

Did you get the one where the whole face comes off and you can put a dirt bike looking visor in its place?

They say that's the big safety downside to modulars, that the face flips up. I guess they'll say it more about one where it comes off completely.

I still wear one. A Nolan.

You must post a full review of the gear. Been eying those scorpions.

Did you get the one where the whole face comes off and you can put a dirt bike looking visor in its place?

They say that's the big safety downside to modulars, that the face flips up. I guess they'll say it more about one where it comes off completely.

I still wear one. A Nolan.

Yes. It's the modular 3-in-1 with the flip down sun visor. And yes, the modular sheild and chin pice do come off and get replaced with a dirt bike like visor so the helmet becomes a 3/4".

Reviews for it were very good. Only one complaint about the chin section and it was quickly resolved.

I'll have it today and post up my thought after I've used it a few days.

I busted ass in the thermo on the way to work. Traveled right up my balaclava. Was not good.

Bwahahaha.

Helmet is here.

My first thought is, I should have gotten the Yellow. Not because I like Yellow. But because you can't overlook the color. It is very bright and very visible.

Second thought, feck this thing is heavy. I have only worn open face to 3/4". Ever.

Old helmet was a large 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 and the buckle of my goggles would pinch. Based on review comments that the fit of this helmet is a bit small, I chose to go a size up to XL 7 5/8 - 7 3/4.

Good thing too, this thing is very snug. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with not being used to having all the cheek padding. The shape of this helmet has cheek guards that can only be compared to massive "chops" side burns.

Once on it is comfortable in that I donot feel any pressure points yet, still unfamiliar. The neck and cheek area have air pockets that can be pumped to further snug the fit. Without, I get only a little bit of slip side to side when turning my head side to side quickly. After a few pumps, it is gone.

Conversion is very simple. The helmet has 2 front vents (mouth and top of head) and a rear vent. The insert padding is removable and washable. The flip down visor is easy to find and large enough to feel the mechanism even with gloves.

This helmet does have a breath deflector and vents to further prevent fogging inside. And it also comes with a snap in chin pad to help keep air from coming in at your neck.

So far, I am pleased. I'll know more about vent efficacy and noise muffling later today when I ride.

I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.

I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.

I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.

I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.

i put it on, zip up the thermo, and done.

Still have to get used to the pressure of the helmet on my cheeks but so far, I am liking it. Nowhere near as much drag on my head at speed. Sounds are muffled compared to my other helmet but still perfectly audible. Wind noise is drastically reduced.

edit: This morning was extremely foggy. I'd say no more than 1 mile visibility in some spots. Wore a bright blue jacket to improve my visibility. despite all the fog in the air no fog accumulated on the inside of the helmet. There was a moist, sort of, sheet. Not foggy but a little bit distorted like looking through a thin sheet of water.

Periphial vision on the helmet is good too.

I dunno what else to tell you Z. That's my best report. You have any specific questions?

Okay, I've used this helmet for a few days now and I can say I aam thrilled with it.

The only thing I wish were different about it is the color. I got the black and wish I had gotten the Yellow.

In fact, I am going to see if there are any partners in town, or try to work it out otherwise so I can make an exchange.

El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.

El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.

I am still adjusting to the sensation of having my cheeks mashed in by the chops of this helmet style but, so far, I am sold on Scorpion too. Big change for me going from open face to full face I suppose and it'll take some time to get the liner "broken in" to the shape of my head.

I did swap the Black for the Neon Yellow.

First time wearing it was on todays ride in and a cop pulled up next to me and started going on about the conspicuity of the color. Said I "was the first thing he spotted on highway from a mile away..."

And just before the light changed to green he warned me to not let him "catch me doing 80mph to pass a car again". :eek: Whoops. And, :p.

Only other odd thing was all the condesation inside the helmet. The sheild stayed absolutely clear the entire time but when I got to work and flipped the sheild up, before taking the helmet off, it was dripping from condensation. Ewww.

Back