GE 7cu.ft. chest freezer - $168 @ HomeDepot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
Home Depot has the GE 7 cu ft chest freezer for only $178. Add a $10 coupon (code HDJUNE10) and it's down to $168 bucks! Free delivery too!

For all of you looking for a conversion project -- here it is. My understanding from a buddy who says he has the same one, is that it holds 4 5-gal kegs AND a 10lb tank.

Just an FYI for you guys!

That's what I have for my kegerator/fermentation freezer. It comfortably holds 3 kegs with a 5 lb CO2 tank, after I build the collar. You could probably squeeze in a fourth keg and go with a 10 lb tank though. I'll be getting a 2nd one this summer to be my dedicated fermentation freezer to keep my kegerator at full capacity.

Sold! If I had more $$ this month I would have bought 2!

Think this one will be by ferm chamber.. Anyone know if it needs mods to fit 5gallon carboys?

Mine did not. It fits two 6.5 gallon better bottles comfortably. If you put a collar on it you could probably stack buckets.

Great, I have been looking for a used fridge but I think this is is my pricerange to buy a new one. Will be using for fermentation chamber.

Great, I have been looking for a used fridge but I think this is is my pricerange to buy a new one. Will be using for fermentation chamber.

Yeah, I plan to convert it to a kegerator, but also use as a ferm. chamber. I don't brew often enough to warrant separating the 2.

Thanks for posting this! I just ordered mine. I almost ordered this same one last week but decided it just wasnt in the budget but now that it's on sale it didn't make sense not to buy it. Looking forward to having some real fermentation control now! Right in time too considering its 96F here in jersey

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered mine. Perfect timing I'm brewing 10 gallons of O-Fest in a week and a half. Now I don't need the 6 frozen gallon Jugs in my kitchen freezer!

I already have a ferm chamber and a kegerator. Is it crazy to buy this as a dedicated lagering cellar? Does anyone know if you could get 2 cornies and a 6.5 gal carboy in here? Would be ideal to be able to cold crash with this while lagering 2 kegs.

Just bought mine at HD. Just in time for my barlywine I'm brewing this weekend. How should I install the Johnson temp controller sensor on this thing. Do I have to drill a hole or can I just place in between the lid for now?

Just bought mine at HD. Just in time for my barlywine I'm brewing this weekend. How should I install the Johnson temp controller sensor on this thing. Do I have to drill a hole or can I just place in between the lid for now?

attach it to your fermentation vessel. I just place the wire between the lid.

Just ordered one. I already had one but was looking to add another so I can ferment beers in a wider range of temperatures.
That is a great deal on this freezer and it is a good one.

Can you get this deal in-store? Or do you have to order online.

If you take a print out of the web page they will match it. Make sure you put it in your cart so you have proof of the extra $10.00 discount.
The first 7.0 cu.ft GE freezer I bought from HD I took a printout from Sears' website when they were having a sale on their 7.2 cu. ft model for $185.00 and HD matched it. They are very good about doing that.

About 28 days ago I went in and bought this IN STORE for $229. Saw this post and went back in a got a price match for 178. Thanks for the 50 bucks guys!!!!

chemman14 said:
I already have a ferm chamber and a kegerator. Is it crazy to buy this as a dedicated lagering cellar? Does anyone know if you could get 2 cornies and a 6.5 gal carboy in here? Would be ideal to be able to cold crash with this while lagering 2 kegs.

That's what I do. Works great.

Is it possible to make this a fermentation chamber while having taps? or are the temp differences too much (for ale fermentation)

I use mine for both kegs and fermenting/crashing/lagering. When I'm fermenting an ale, I have to drink 15C beer. But it's not all that bad.

chemman14 said:
Well unfortunately my roommate seems to believe this will cause our electricity bill to skyrocket so he nixed the idea...:drunk:

Not so much ;)

image-1622848408.jpg

Well unfortunately my roommate seems to believe this will cause our electricity bill to skyrocket so he nixed the idea...:drunk:

Go buy the freezer and give him $30.00. He is overreacting especially considering it won't be running as much as a regular freezer would.

Wouldn't you know it, right after I order one they get them in at the local HD.
Oh well mine will be here Tuesday anyway. :mug:
For anyone interested they are listed at $178.00 in the store as well. This is a good deal, get em while they last!

Back