Algae-like stuff in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krahm

Reaction score
Did a quick search or two, and I didn't see mention of this particular issue (but maybe I don't know what to search for). I've got an APA, one week in the bottle. Held a bottle up to the light, and I saw something clinging to the side of the bottle. Looks kind of like a very fine, velvety algae--kind of like cotton candy. When you turn the bottle, it waves back and forth. I'm seeing it in most of the others, too. I opened the first bottle, and there's plenty of carbonation, but it's not gushing. Also, the stuff broke off with the C02 bubbles. Nothing visible after pouring, except that it's somewhat cloudy. No odor. It's still very green, so it's hard to say whether there are faint off flavors at this point. Could it just be something like protein accumulating? Any ideas what I'm seeing?

Are you sure its not the yeast eating the priming sugar?:) I can actually see it floating the first week in the bottle sometimes. It seems.Clingin to the sides sometimes.

It's tough to photograph, but I found a bottle that had a lot, and the pics are reasonably clear. It looks more like cloudy sediment in these shots, but it's actually clinging to the side of the bottle (on the inside, of course). I put a bottle in the freezer for a half hour to chill it, and it seemed to dissipate. I'm drinking it right now. It tastes fine, if a bit sweet (I suppose it could be priming sugar [?]; starch [?]; protein [?]).

Anyway, I haven't kicked the bucket yet, but then I suppo....

[Connection terminated.]

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

I have gotten that in cider bottles before with no ill effects. I can't say exactly what it is, but I would assume it is just yeast.

Most likely yeast but the pedicle is a bit strange for yeast. The tan color says yeast, the shape is something else. I don't want to say bacteria because that defiantly isn't it.

Interesting. This same thing was happening to my 5 gallons of edworts apfelwein just a week ago (after 6 weeks in the fermenter). Sides of the carboy looked like your bottle pics. Didn't taste or smell funny, but I promptly bottled it.

I'm not as worried now that I've smelled and tasted the beer. At first I was, though. I'll sit on it and check it again this weekend. If it's some kind of infection, it'll get worse, and then my question will be answered. It could certainly be yeast, but it just doesn't act like yeast--not like any I've seen in my limited experience, anyway--but then I don't know what it could be, so any explanation sounds about right at this point.

It's interesting to hear that others have seen something similar, though no one is quite clear on what it is.... My curiosity is piqued.

Having said that, I'm putting a throw rug over these two cases. They're sitting in the kitchen at this point.

Ive seen that in my spent bottles while Im rinsing them, its almost like an intangible slime, I tried grabbing it while it was floating in my sink but to no avail. Idk what it is, but had I not been meticulous in cleaning my bottles it would have ended up in my beer... My vote is your bottles were hosting that before you put the beer in them and you didnt notice.

If you had access to a microscope it would be interesting to see if it's something other then a those round shaped little friends of ours.

I forgot to mention that mine is a Rosemead beer a little on the sweet side I don't like the taste of regular beer so I'll make mine a little sweeter and this is about my 10th or 12th batch and never had this before

The first batch I bottled looked similar. When I described it to the gentleman at the LHBS he thought it from the use of carb tabs instead of priming sugar.

But it looks kind of like a tannish color algae floating in a swimming pool
The first batch I bottled looked similar.
Most things that look like microbe growth are actually microbe growth. Your beer or whatever must have picked up some wild microbes.

Post some photos if you want more help trying to confirm what it is.

Having grown bacteria and yeast in Trypticase Soy Broth tubes and all....looks just like a yeast growing in broth.....but bacteria can look similar. I think the solution is what you have been doing: Opening it, smelling it and tasting. Only way to know for sure, unless you have access to a microscope and slides.

Latest posts

Back