how to cut my sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorBrewed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just drilled the holes into my new kettle and after further examination the sight glass I received from bargain fittings is 18 inches long and my kettle is 15 inches tall. Any suggestions on how to cut this with out shattering the polycarbonite sight glass. Thanks.

A copper tubing cutter will work.

Anything that will cut - saw, hacksaw etc will work but you will need a very sharp knife to clean up the ragged edge after you cut it.

We use the pvc cutters to trim the tubes:

DB-3QWXlmiICLJOH7n94zSGXZvyzKmyL7OKYQ9s4HssAL0cfBG7WmQlbFUgV41imdWRwqHQa0vp9dZMTzbRQQyf0Cfr0O8J9Fr-gEbTO5lqzRZzyDz3vh8OAkEGbK3AQ82JY_0KT9XwYbF5Pd3ZuWPKnmG_wuO5FzhuhQZDjwYyo3sby2L6npGVJVXoPsnq5yS3C-8wUCBWdaWOwZk62NlkIBC4nXyhOK32lkJbhmsjXCz5dT61G7L3GgN4ilpjYss8Rh97_4OtCKK-ZXSHeOb6gk2Md0SVL_fYa4QWIVkwMI365ZdtACawZCPVYG0Xhi4Kehw

Regular small pipe/tube cutter works great. The a few swipes with the SWMBO's finger nail file to remove the sharp edge and your done. The wheels on the tube cutter will not crack the tube unless you grossly over tightan the tool. Hope this helps.
Bob

Back