coil or cold plate for jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I am looking at either purchasing or buying a jockey box and have a few questions that I could not find an answer for.

I want the ability to use room temperature kegs.

micromatic's website says that if I want to use warm kegs, I MUST go with 125' stainless coil.

can anyone give me their first-hand impressions of how their jockey boxes perform with warm kegs?

I am looking at either purchasing or buying a jockey box...

I think either option would work out just fine! :D

Srsly though: We used a 50' SS jocky box for a room temp BMC at the Elks convention recently... It worked just fine!
I can see 125' if you're serving at a baseball game (Read: kill a keg in 30 minutes/constant pour)
Put it this way:
125' of 1/4" SS line is about 163.26 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 13 12oz beers.
50' of 1/4" SS line is about 65.3 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 5.4 12oz beers.
25' of 1/4" SS line is about 58.93 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 2.72 12oz beers.

Now, I don't know exactly how long it takes to chill beer from 70ish degrees to 40ish degrees when it's contained in a 1/4" diameter metal tube buried in ice, but I'm going to bet it's less time than I'll take to drink 3 of them.

RDWHAHB!:tank:

I think either option would work out just fine! :D

Srsly though: We used a 50' SS jocky box for a room temp BMC at the Elks convention recently... It worked just fine!
I can see 125' if you're serving at a baseball game (Read: kill a keg in 30 minutes/constant pour)
Put it this way:
125' of 1/4" SS line is about 163.26 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 13 12oz beers.
50' of 1/4" SS line is about 65.3 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 5.4 12oz beers.
25' of 1/4" SS line is about 58.93 ounces of beer on ice at any given time, or 2.72 12oz beers.

Now, I don't know exactly how long it takes to chill beer from 70ish degrees to 40ish degrees when it's contained in a 1/4" diameter metal tube buried in ice, but I'm going to bet it's less time than I'll take to drink 3 of them.

RDWHAHB!:tank:

obviously meant to say that I was going to build or purchase one smart
ass:drunk::D

That is some really great info on the amount of cooling beer!!!
Does anyone know how long the tubing is in a standard cold plate?

Every beer fest I've worked used coils in the boxes. I'm guessing the coils were 50'. The main problem we ran into was foam freezing in the coils if the pressure was too high in a new keg.

Plates don't have as much surface area for heat transfer.

Back