Water Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
I was wondering which DIY or Commercial product is out there for water filtration. It needs to be able to produce a lot of filtered water. Atleast 100 gallons.
Thanks

Depends on how fast and how clean you want the water. You can do a double stage with particulate and then carbon, if you want faster flow while maintaining good filtration you need more surface area, in other words, big canisters. RO is much slower by comparison, for that you would probably need a holding tank to store accumulated water for the brew.

If you're looking for RO filtration, you might want to look at the GE Merlin system. It is made for residential/light commercial use with a pretty high GPD output. I've never used one though, only regular RO systems. The filters are somewhat expensive to replace also. Of course, that depends on how often you use it.

If you're using a holding tank, you'll want to make sure that you don't let the water sit in there too long. If so, you have a higher chance of a bacteria or algae outbreak. Definitely use an opaque tank if you do.

:mug:

Ok so I need to the filtration system to do a reasonably good job filtering (the best for the cost). I need it to fill 80 gallons (in the best amount of time for the money). It should not take more than a hour to fill. what do you think?

No RO system will fill 80 gallons in an hour. (Well, SOME can, but you can buy a house for cheaper) You'll have to go with canister filters, or start an RO system a day before and store the filtered water in garbage cans or something.

Remember that RO water contains none of the minerals that we need for good beer. You'd have to add minerals before you brew with RO.

I think, from the sounds of it, you should look at canister filters.

Edit: Check out some reef tank sites. Salt water reef aquariums use RO systems for pure water.

Yeah, 80 gallons/hr for RO filtration is out of reach for most budgets. With that kind of output need, you'll probably just want to go with sediment and carbon filtration in canisters and forgo the RO membrane. This should give you the flow rate you're looking for. Reef supply stores are great for this.

The GE Merlin is 720 Gallons Per Day which equals out to 30 gallons per hour under optimal conditions. You probably won't get near that. It is priced at $390 at Amazon. As far as I know, it has the highest GPD output for the price.

Yeah, 80 gallons/hr for RO filtration is out of reach for most budgets. With that kind of output need, you'll probably just want to go with sediment and carbon filtration in canisters and forgo the RO membrane. This should give you the flow rate you're looking for. Reef supply stores are great for this.

The GE Merlin is 720 Gallons Per Day which equals out to 30 gallons per hour under optimal conditions. You probably won't get near that. It is priced at $390 at Amazon. As far as I know, it has the highest GPD output for the price.

oh god thats expensive! I need to find a better solution. I want to be 30 dollars into and MAX 100.

oh god thats expensive!

I agree!

So if you want an 'on-demand' flow rate of 80 gph with a max budget of $100, then RO filtration is probably out of the question. IMO, your best bet would be to use a 2 stage filtration as suggested in posting #2.

If the 'on-demand' flow rate can be avoided and you want RO filtration, then Bobby's suggestion of a cheap RO system and a float-valve would seem like the better option.

:rockin:

+1 for 2 stage filter. Not sure exactly what filtration level you are looking for but you can build a setup with 2 whole house canisters for like $80. I start with a 30 micron sediment filter and that feeds a 2 micron carbon filter. This should do a pretty good job unless you have a real need for RO.

+1 Merlin RO... After the initial costs of purchase it only costs $100 a year to maintain with filters. That includes amortizing the cost of replacing the membranes every 3-5 years.
I've had mine for over 4 years, no problems at all.

You have a clean base of water to then add minerals to any style you want to brew.

Back