AG sub for amber malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
Any good rule-of-thumb substitute for amber malt extract when converting recipes to all grain? I thought Beersmith would do this for me, but I just realized it requires you to choose the replacement malt, and just does the gravity calc for you...

so, 1 lb amber malt extract = approximately how much of which grains?

thanks, gents. or ladies. or not.

Mix of caramel 60, munich and some base would make a suitible replacement for amber, in what quantities, I could only guess.

Maybe .25 lb caramel .50 lb munich/lb of base malt? It's just a guess.

I don't have my Beersmith in front of me as I am at work, but I could probably figure out the quantites better.

Hi Pint. Another approach would be to share what you're trying to brew and the recipe and figure out what grains would work for what you are trying to brew. That is easier for me, at least.

Hi Pint. Another approach would be to share what you're trying to brew and the recipe and figure out what grains would work for what you are trying to brew. That is easier for me, at least.

heheh well I'm trying to mash the malt portion of brandon's graff... :) Don't have any LME on hand, and i want to reuse my Pacman cake...

calls for 1 lb amber LME and 1 lb light LME... Maybe just mash a couple lbs pale malt with about .25lb crystal 60??? no clue... seems like that might be kinda heavy on the crystal.

help :( I don't know much about malt extracts.

EDIT: well, this is my brew and I was going to add some ingredients anyway, so maybe I'll just mash 3 lbs pale and a tad of a few different crystal malts. sure. why not. I'll add some 10L for sweetness, some 120 for depth, some 60 for good measure...

heheh well I'm trying to mash the malt portion of brandon's graff... :) Don't have any LME on hand, and i want to reuse my Pacman cake...

calls for 1 lb amber LME and 1 lb light LME... Maybe just mash a couple lbs pale malt with about .25lb crystal 60??? no clue... seems like that might be kinda heavy on the crystal.

help :( I don't know much about malt extracts.

EDIT: well, this is my brew and I was going to add some ingredients anyway, so maybe I'll just mash 3 lbs pale and a tad of a few different crystal malts. sure. why not. I'll add some 10L for sweetness, some 120 for depth, some 60 for good measure...

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, have never drank graff let alone made it. Good luck!

Back