How many gallons of Brandon O's Graff have been made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in for 10 more, this is a real gem of a recipe. I am lucky enough to have a neighbor with a Cider Press and live near some pick your own orchards. So mine hasn't cleared up much but tastes great after a month of fermentation and will be kegged this week!

2166 gallons of sweet malt kissed apple CIDEER, thanks tons Brandon O

I just pitched the notty on top of 5 gallons at 64º F. I went with 120L, 2# of Amber DME, .5 oz cascades and 4 gallons of Kirkland Juice. OG 1.060

I'm hoping for New Year's but would be completely happy to wait until super bowl weekend.

I just buttoned up my Carboy with my first batch. Followed the recipe to the T except I mashed with a full Gallon and Sparged with .25. I brewed in my kitchen with a Vegetable steamer in my bottling bucket. I needed more contact water. OG 1.062

Just brewed my second batch this weekend, and bottled first batch last weekend. Both Walmart $h@t juice. First batch was Crystal 60 with Notty. Last batch Crystal 120 with Notty and 2lbs brown sugar. Dumped about 4 gallons of apfelwein down the drain. Thought Brandon O was kind of harsh for his description of apfelwien, then tasted the pure hoochiness, and proceeded to place foot in mouth (tasted better than apfelwein). Not sure why, but couldn't shake the sulfur rhino farts. Anyways- new batch is bubbling violently.:eek:

BTW-- coming across the original graf thread got me reading the Dark Tower again. Only books I've ever re-read. Thank you Thank you!!!

Colby Jack

Assuming that colbyjack^ made 2- 5 gallon batches. I just kegged my first. I spices mine with 3 cinnamon sticks, a clove and some nutmeg in the secondary. Tasting pretty good right about now

That puts us at 2191 gallons with my 5

yep. 10 gallons from me. I just realized that the app version of HBT doesn't show the title of a post like the full version. My count was added in the title.

Colby Jack

2196+5=2201

Made the recipe but with a LME and used German Brewers Gold 6.2% hops at .5 oz.

May be a bit to much hop but we will see. Tasted great when added to carboy. I think this will be one of my favorites. Its a bit less harsh than Apfelwein. While I like Edworts recipe I like mine a bit sweeter. With this recipe I dont have to backsweeten to get rid of the "hot" taste.

2218 + 5 = 2223
Made another 5 gallon batch today. I bought enough ingredients for about 15 gallons, and based on all the reviews, I figured I better make more because I'll go thru my first batch in no time.

2.5 more for a total of 2225.5. I threw the new batch onto the yeast cake from the last one and it was rocking in less than 3 hours! :rockin:

2225.5 + 5 makes it 2230.5

Saw this recipe and couldn't resist. 10 days in the primary now and I can't wait for this to finish up so I can keg it and give it a try. Looks and smells great. Had a real nice fermentation so I'm expecting good things. Went with the recipe as listed minus the torrified wheat, which I couldn't find at my local store and decided I could live wo. I used 4g of unpasteurized cider from a local apple orchard which is known for its stellar cider. (in Lancaster, PA aka amish/farming country) Also used 5oz yakima magnum hop pellets at 13.1% AA which puts me slightly higher than the suggested 6% AA.

2230.5+5 makes it 2235.5

I made mine with all cider though. I steeped my grains (0.5lb crystal 60 and 2 oz of carapils) in 0.75 gallon cider, then sparged with 0.25 gal cider. Brought it to a boil and boiled 0.2oz of 12.2%AA simcoe for 30 min. Also added 2lbs of extra light DME to the boil. interested to see how it comes out. The simcoe smelled so fruity while it was boiling I think it will go well with this concoction.

+5 makes it 2240.5!

i followed the steps above and used .5 oz of centennial (8.7%aa) for the 30 min boil. can't wait to try it!

2240.5 + 5 = 2245.5

Got another 5 gallons going in the primary right now. Used the yeast/trub from my last batch to get this one started. Also just kegged up a 2.5 batch that I had going from early January. Force carbing it right now to enjoy while I do some brewing this afternoon.

2250.5.....Did my first brew today. Finished at 5pm and its bubbling away already. Fresh cider from the local cider mill with cascade hops. OG 1.060. tastes great just the way it is actually.

Anybody get rhino farts with this stuff? Mine has only been going for about 6 hours and i can smell them already!

Yep. Unfortunately my batches with Nottingham have had "the smell" It usually only lasted a day during active fermentation and then went away.

Does it still count as Brandon O's Graff if you modify the recipe a little bit or does it become my own?

My brew store had a 1 oz pack of Citra hops that I picked up for cheap (last seasons and scraps from an order) that I added as flavor hops (.25 oz @ 10 and 5 minute boil) as well as Cascades for my bitter hops. Sampled last night and was turning out might fantastic. Still in the 1.02 range, but she's still young and shouldn't be handled yet anyways.

+5 = 2,260.5

New 5 gallon batch. Our 2nd. Slight modifications to hops/grain. We are still new brewers so experimenting with different materials to find those that we like. Cant wait for summer and the orchards to open again. We look forward to trying it with fresh apples.

+5 = 2,270.5

Am I the only one who didn't like this?

Given, I only tried brewing it once.. Maybe I did something wrong..

Back