Stone's Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc06

Reaction score
Picked up a 22oz of it along with their RIS, which I have already had and liked. However, I did not care for the smoked porter at all tasted like plastic to me... what does everyone else think of this beer?

I don't know about plastic, but I wasn't overly impressed with it either. Pretty bland but JMHO.

I think it is the best beer that Stone makes on a regular basis. I've neer detected anything remotely plastic about it.

Toured Stone today and this was on my list of beers to try. I must say it lived up to all the hype I've read. Granted this was at Stone but still. In a word, great!

I am not a huge smoked beer fan, or a huge porter fan in general.. But I thought it was a fantastic beer! And like I just said I dont like smoked beers or porters. I bought a second bottle (and just so we understand each other, I cant get Stone in IL. I have to take hour fifteen min drive to WI to get Stone) and have it saved for the next time I find myself in front of some good bbq. Per the reccomendation on the back of the bottle, I imagine it would go great with some big fat spare ribs or tips..

I like Stone's hoppy beers (Ruination is probably their best), but I don't really care for their porters or stouts. They don't seem to have that much balance or character. I tried the smoked porter and only tasted smoke. I tried last year's Imperial Stout and thought it tasted pretty bland for an imperial.

as a stand alone beer not taking that it came from Stone, it is pretty bland in comparison to what else is out there in the category.

I mean Alaskan Smoked porter and then you have the perfect porter by the late Bert Grant smokes them all :) Still trying to get a nice try at a clone ready for next winter on that beer.

Ditto to human_brewing's comment - Alaskan Smoked Porter is much better than Stone (in my opinion). And there's no competition for IPA's - Stone smokes Alaskan in that category, so they each do their thing really well.

I brewed up my second smoked porter a few weeks ago based on Jamil's recipe, and it is one of my favorite beers to date, I think it is much more balanced than Stone's, try it if you like the style for sure

CRAP why wasnt this posted yesterday :drunk: I just purchased 4 of these to share with the family this weekend. I debated between this and the black butte XXI (got one of those anyway). meh...

Stone uses lightly peated malt for their smoked porter and not much of it at all. I talked with their brewer as he was making a batch. It's only about 3% of the grain bill. The rest is about 7% chocolate malt (the only dark malt they use) and 10% 40-60L Crystal with the rest pale malt.

Dug up this old thread because I'm currently drinking my first bottle of this. I really wanted to like it, but I think I'm falling on the side of those who dislike it.

To me, the predominant flavor is not smoke, but hops. There's a very bitter taste to it that rides the first wave of sweet/coffee, but when all other flavors are gone, the bitter/hop lingers.

It's okay. Not something I'd buy again though.

Back