Aeration Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
Hi,

In the past I’ve just poured the cooled wort back and forth a few times, bucket to bucket. (AG brewer, in 1.035 - 1.055 SG range... but I'll probably be venturing into 1.080+ range soon.)

Should I get an oxygenation system ?

Is it just a matter of getting a diffusion stone and one of the small bottles of oxygen being sold @ Wal-Mart... connected with tubing?

I happen to have a couple medical oxygen tanks. Can they be used?

Thanks,

It wouldn't be a bad idea going the o2 route.

You need to get a regulator also. Northern Brewer has one for $36 that comes with tubing and the stone. $8-$10 for a bottle and you are good.

Those Med o2 tanks should be good too. Just need to get the regulator and stone. You might need to get a regulator with the gages for that tank which would be more expensive.

If you have the cash O2 isn't a bad investment. It's not necessary, but it does get the O2 higher than you can get it any other way, and all the big breweries do it.

Be aware everything I have ever read says you can not fill a medical O2 tank without a prescription. You can fill a beat up steel welding O2 tank all day long, but not a medical one.

Those O2 tanks at hardware stores are disposable...cost me less then 10 bucks...and after a year of brewing, I'm still on my first one. But I just read a thread the other day where it seemed like people were getting regulators that released O2 too quickly....maybe not all regulators are made the same. Well for me, it's been a pretty small investment and I can see a difference in fermentation. With a starter and 60 seconds of oxygen, my wort starts fermenting in a couple hours and then starts finishing quicker too. But I also get plenty of kraeusen too!

I don't know if a medical O2 tank is compatible with a disposable O2 tank....but I'd check and see if they have similar gauges/PSIs. That way, once your medical tank goes, you can always get a disposable O2 in a pinch.

Back