RIMS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
As back story, I currently use a direct fire type RMS. I just recently changed my thermometers out on my rig due to damage (they don’t like it when the cord falls into the burners :rolleyes:), and noticed a significant decrease in efficiency, as well as an increased incidence of scorching on the bottom of my MT. Grant these are el cheapo walmart special thermometers, but my last ones lasted me quite a while perfectly, and now the new ones seem to be not cutting the mustard.

Now if I am going to be re-investing in good thermometers, I thought about going ahead and switching to a traditional RIMS type setup. From what I read, if you have a good thermocouple positioned correctly, you can switch the element on and off at only a few degrees above target, and maintain temps with little risk of scorching if used properly. With addition of this setup, I can still direct fire strike water, but won't be switching my burner on and off through out the mash, worry about having the flame slightly too high, and can save my propane for the HLT and BK.

Question: How well does a RIMS work for step mashing? I have read that HERMS is great for maintaining, but trying to raise temps this way can be tedious. I would imagine having an element in direct contact that can be set by PID to desired temp would be superior and fairly quick at reaching different mash temperatures.

Also, are there further drawbacks to the RIMS that I am not seeing? I considered doing a HERMS, but I am currently on a 3 tier stand with only 1 pump, and also brew outdoors with a fair amount of wind that likes to strip heat from my HTL and MT, and saw temperature control this way only being slightly better than my current arrangement.

Thanks!

Hey Jason, did you see this thread? Lots of good info about using HERMS/RIMS for step mashing. To me, it doesn't really seem like RIMS would be any more effective than HERMS at stepping, just a different way to transfer heat. If you're unwilling to let the heated wort exceed the target temp (like some people), then it doesn't matter how effective your HEX is. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stepping-herms-115142/

One thing I did to help make sure I'm not overheating my mash while I step (I also direct-fire, for the other readers), is install a thermo probe on the pump to monitor the temps coming out of the bottom of the MLT. The other thing you have to watch is making sure you're grain bed doesn't compact. You can either slow the pump down, or give it a stir every few minutes to make sure things aren't sticking. If the grain bed compacts, the flow stops/slows, and if you're not watching the temps, it WILL scorch, like you've seen.

Here's a pic of how I installed the thermo probe. And a video from one of our recent brew days showing how I used it to monitor the temps. We step mashed two wheat beers from 110º to 153º in < 20 mins with no scorching, and I made sure the wort exiting the MLT stayed within a few degrees of my target. http://www.the-sparkmans.net/Photo%20Gallery/Brew%20Stuff/Apr%2009%20Brew%20Day/April%202009%20Brew%20Day.wmv

I think one of the advantages of RIMS over HERMS is not having to have your HLT insulated and held at just above mash temps. In other words, it's a bit more energy efficient and you can be pretty accurate with the output temps. HLTs have a lot of thermal mass and can't change temps very quickly.

With ALL mash heating methods there's a mild debate going on as to how much higher than your target (or rather how close to b-amylase denaturing temp) you can go.

I run a direct fired RIMS also and I've scorched a small amount if my grainbed compacts and the pump loses prime. You really have to be sure that wort is moving when the heat source is applied

Hey Jason, did you see this thread? Lots of good info about using HERMS/RIMS for step mashing. To me, it doesn't really seem like RIMS would be any more effective than HERMS at stepping, just a different way to transfer heat. If you're unwilling to let the heated wort exceed the target temp (like some people), then it doesn't matter how effective your HEX is. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stepping-herms-115142/

One thing I did to help make sure I'm not overheating my mash while I step (I also direct-fire, for the other readers), is install a thermo probe on the pump to monitor the temps coming out of the bottom of the MLT. The other thing you have to watch is making sure you're grain bed doesn't compact. You can either slow the pump down, or give it a stir every few minutes to make sure things aren't sticking. If the grain bed compacts, the flow stops/slows, and if you're not watching the temps, it WILL scorch, like you've seen.

Here's a pic of how I installed the thermo probe. And a video from one of our recent brew days showing how I used it to monitor the temps. We step mashed two wheat beers from 110º to 153º in < 20 mins with no scorching, and I made sure the wort exiting the MLT stayed within a few degrees of my target. http://www.the-sparkmans.net/Photo Gallery/Brew Stuff/Apr 09 Brew Day/April 2009 Brew Day.wmv

ooo, I like that.... Simple and effective, so this may be a better solution for me for right now. So with this I am assuming you continuously adjust your flame until your output is maintained at target temps, turning it down/off as mash temp is reached/maintained? (have not watched your video yet incase the answer is contained within) No I missed that thread for some reason, but will spend a bit more time reading it. I like the direct fire, and have not had any problems with it until I changed out my thermometers, and I have the feeling they are reading low, and not giving me a good idea of what is really going on since I have had some mild scorching issues my last couple batches.

Flow rate is something I rarely have an issue with now that I have a better false bottom, except if I stir a little too vigorously and get a little grain underneath it, but that usually clears out fairly easily.

I don't remember how much detail I gave in the video. I found that initially I could have the burner up pretty high without fear of overheating the wort exiting the bottom. However, once the entire mash temps started to rise, I had to keep an eye on things and started turning the burner down. Once I got close, I had to turn the burner off/on two or three times to raise the mash the last few degrees. It really wasn't much work, and I was able to nail my step temp quickly and without any scorching.

Just watched your video and the set-up looks nice! You have done a bit of work since last time I saw it :D I really like your solution to the overheating problem and will probably implement it and try it out for my next brewday. Did you order that compression fitting for the thermometer, or is it just an 1/8"?

It's the same size that comes on the thermosights I've got. I don't remember off-hand if they're 1/8" or 1/4", I'm guessing 1/4". I just put a small piece of 1/4" tubing in there and tighten down the fitting on that. It seals really well. I put some keg lube on the probe and I can easily slide it in/out. Don't you have these, too? I can't remember. Anyway, here's what the breakdown looks like.

It's the same size that comes on the thermosights I've got. I don't remember off-hand if they're 1/8" or 1/4", I'm guessing 1/4". I just put a small piece of 1/4" tubing in there and tighten down the fitting on that. It seals really well. I put some keg lube on the probe and I can easily slide it in/out. Don't you have these, too? I can't remember. Anyway, here's what the breakdown looks like.

Yeah I've got them too, but I ordered them and don't remember what they actually are. Just seeing if I could get a quick answer. :D

Thanks a lot, your solution is a lot simpler than what I was contemplating, and I can actually put this in action by the next brew day, a definite plus!

I installed the thermo-probe on my pump today, look forward to trying this out tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back