Um. . . is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of a honey wheat with an OG of 1.053 a week ago today. The airlock didn't start bubbling for a little over 48 hours, but it's been going steadily since then, and is still bubbling. The wort has been at a constant (correct) temperature, hasn't been aerated since fermentation began, doesn't have too much yeast, everything was very well sanitized, etc.

Obviously it's too early to bottle, but I've never seen this much bubbling before, nor a primary that took this long. Is this normal?

Yes, I would say it is. I've had everything from no bubbling at all to bubbling for two solid weeks and everything in between. Keep in mind that bubbling is just co2 coming out, and not a reliable sign of fermentation.

I wait about 10 days to 2 weeks and then check the gravity. If the beer is clear and ready to bottle, I bottle then, but usually wait about 3-4 weeks total before bottling.

Back