Love me some SOUR beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
So I've been developing a real love for Belgian sour beers, and I've been ravenously and vicariously reading the exploits of Evan! and landhoney here on the forum. I really love the refreshing, mouthwatering tartness of a Flanders Red, and I think I'm going to brew up JZ's recipe and follow his procedure w/ US-05 first then pitch the Roselare blend to get that awesome pellicle. In addition to 'Wild Brews', I'd love to hear some recommendations on reference books to add to the library as I take my brewing in this new direction (what ever happened to the brewing book thread anyway?)

Welcome me to the fray, Evan! :D

I have not read this book, but you could check out Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. I think it is all about brewing with bugs. Good Luck.

For Flanders and many Belgians - I have Farmhouse Ales which isn't so much directly about sour beers, but more of the regional Farmhouse ales (Reds/Saisons/etc).

Good book!

I too have a huge love of all things sour.

Remember, turbid mashing is your friend.

I have a friend in the local brew club who will be brewing a Berliner Weiss with me in about 3 weeks. Just ordered the Lacto D. from the LHBS today.

That is a good quick turn around time beer to quench that thirst for sour beers while you wait on the bugs to do their jobs on the more complex beers like the flanders or lambics.

JC, you should keep me posted on that Weiss. I'm dying to brew one, and haven't yet decided whether to go with the authentic bug route, or the soured mash route, or whatnot.

I, too, have been honing my appreciation of sour beers, and Belgian beers in general. Been spending far too much on it, too! :p Need to brew up a keg of Belgian Pale or Duvel or Chimay Red or something ... with a bit of proof in it, but still light dry and drinkable.

I have a friend in the local brew club who will be brewing a Berliner Weiss with me in about 3 weeks. Just ordered the Lacto D. from the LHBS today.

Is it the obscenely short 15 minute boil that JZ uses? I'm a big fan of Berliner Weisse too!

I'm actually listening to that episode now....might need to brew this one up this weekend, if I can squeeze it in.

I do dig them as well. Haven't done any long term ferments (other than vinegar :D), but I have done plenty of soured mashes. They are another underrepresented class of beers.

Oh I dunno, I always just go the sour mash route.

Are you achieving consistent results batch to batch with sour mash? I'd think that introduces a lot of variability to the batch.

Are you achieving consistent results batch to batch with sour mash? I'd think that introduces a lot of variability to the batch.

Not as much as you'd think. The trick is all in the timing and constant attention. I have had pretty good success out of the batches I have done, when I get a finely tuned process I'll let you know time frames and temperatures...If I remember to post! :D

I just did a berliner weiss, but my LHBS gave me malolacto bacteria instead of the Lactobacillus. I now plan on back souring with lactic acid.

Back