can i grow hops here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
ok so i got permission to grow hops next year tell me if you think this spot will work.

sun: partial from morning till about 11am then full till sundown
water: normal water for Wisconsin + a bit extra for garage
room: about 20ft long and 5 ft between my building, 3ft to property line
soil: holds water will clay is suspected deeper

planning on digging out the spots for this and adding a compost type soil

Sounds decent to me. Since they grow up, they don't need much of a footprint. If you keep them 4' apart, you could fit 5 plants.

I'm growing in a similar spot myself. I strung some twine up from stakes in the ground to the roof of the house and it seems to be working well. One rhizome is a first year, and there are no cones or even hints of cones, but it is about 18' tall. It's also a mystery plant. The other, is a Cascade that was purchased as a "jumbo". I have had a problem with leaf hoppers and grass hoppers, but luckily two extra bines were breaking the surface as I was about to cut down the dead bines. The two new bines are just starting to bud some cones...keeping my fingers crossed.

I live just outside Cincinnati, OH, and we have had a great summer...small handful of days over 90, good sun and rain. Soil here is mostly clay, so I mixed some top soil, and good garden soil, and mounded everything so there was some better drainage. Next year, I'm gonna build some raised planters in the same spot, and buy some praying mantis eggs to help with the bugs!

Good luck

sunshine should be sufficient. My first years are doing ok now with about the same sun as you have. Although I have now secured a new location with more sun for some new hops next year.

I grow in Central PA and they do fine here if you find the right variety. Watch that plant wit no cones, it is probably a male. Did you start it from seed or buy a rhizome?

Back