HELP: Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAF_CAVEMAN

Reaction score
Im sure this question has been answered but i didnt read the thread before going to the LHBS and bought 2 lbs of Bisquit instead of toasting 2lbs of base malt. Do you think this will ruin the recipe? The guy at my LHBS told me that usually when people say toasted malt they are talking about Bisquit. Thanks!

I'm not really sure what the recipe entails, and if I did I may not be able to help but until the more knowledgeable members come to your rescue...

Biscuit Malt 25 L This fully toasted, lightly roasted malt is used to give the beer a bread and biscuits flavor. It is typically used as 10% of the total grain bill. Gives a deep amber color to the beer. - John Palmer, Chapter 12 How to Brew

Malt Types and Usages

Hope that gets you some info you are looking for.

The total grain bill is 11lbs so i guess that would make sense. I am deploying next month and wanted to make this for a going away party my buddies are throwing me...

I find that there seems to be more misinformation than good info being passed around at homebrew stores. I'm sure its getting better but I cant imagine what it was like years ago...

Biscuit malt is a bit different than if you toasted your own base malts. I think it probably has less fermentables left in it since it was toasted by a professional maltster. Also, 2 lbs of biscuit is a lot for a 5gal recipe, thats nearly 18%, more than the max given in the malt description. Personally (if you only have no other specialty grains on hand) I'd go with maybe 1 lb biscuit and 1 lb 2row. Or if you have time before brewing, toast some 2 row yourself in the oven.

hmm or......if you have no other malts at your house and dont want to make another trip, do 1 lb biscuit and add some cane sugar to make up for the other 1lb in terms of gravity. about 1/2 lb will do the trick. You'll have a slightly dryer body, but you could mash 1deg higher and probably wouldnt notice a difference...

It depends on the rest of the grain bill though. Is there anything aside from 2 row and 2 lbs of toasted malt?

The only problem is I crushed it all up and its all together...would you recommend I chunk it and go pick up a new thing of grain?

Sounds tastey man I would roll with it. You will be fine and probably very close to what the beer should be.

I guess I'd just try to add in a pound or more 2row to help make the whole thing stronger and lighten the biscuit's inlfuence on the beer. Unless its already closing in on 8 or 9 percent...

I've made Dude's recipe many times. Sometimes with biscuit and others with home - toasted base malt. It'll be slightly different, but still tasty.

I'd encourage you to try toasting some base malt. It's really simple and it'll leave your house smelling glorious.

So after reading yesterday I went back to the lhbs and bought so more grain. I also toasted the base malt and boy does it smell amazing. I cooled my wort off in 15 min and got a pretty bad cold break. Used Safale 05 I didnt rehydrate and it took longer than normal for fermentation to start but its chugging along pretty good now

I've brewed that recipe a few times. Did the toasted 2 row the first time. The second time I used victory in place of the toasted malt. It was good but I preferred the home toasted malt over the victory.

Back