What's a good oktoberfest beer to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
Me and my roommates are throwing a small Oktoberfest party at the end of October and they asked me if I could brew an Oktoberfest for it. The thing is... I pretty much brew IPA's exclusively so I don't really know any good Oktoberfest recipes. Nothing too big, I need to have it done within a month. Anyone got any good ones?

EDIT: I can't brew lagers...

I forgot to mention, I can't brew lagers. That pretty much rules out most Oktoberfests right?

An Oktoberfest is a lager. But you can make some "similar to Oktoberfests" ales. Use a very "clean" ale yeast and keep the temperature in the low 60s. Pacman yeast, if you can find it, at 60-62 degrees, will make a very clean ale that might be confused for a lager. Nottingham dry yeast works well at those temperatures also, and leaves a nice clear beer behind, with an almost-lagerlike finish.

Danstar has a new attenuative ale yeast that flocs quickly as well... Bry-97 ... That with some munich/vienna/pils, and maybe some c20 would make a solid alternative to a true okto

When doing psuedo-lagers I have good luck with a 50/50 mix of S-05 and W-34/70. Ferment in the low 60's and they come out crisp and clear as a bell. One of these days I will do a proper Oktoberfest but until then this yeast combo works well for me.

Try this.... Its an oktoberfest ale 21 day fermentation you shoudl start it this weekend though!!!oktoberfest ale

5 gallons
All Grain
1.057~OG→1.014~FG→5.6%ABV 23 IBU 8.9°L SRM
Yeasts
4.23 ounces
2565 - Kölsch
Wyeast (Ale) 4.23 ounces

Fermentables
11 pounds
Pilsen
35ppg, 1°L 4.5 pounds
41%
Vienna
34ppg, 4°L 4.5 pounds
41%
Munich (Light)
33ppg, 10°L 1 pound
9%
CaraMunich
33ppg, 50°L 8 ounces
5%
CaraVienne
34ppg, 20°L 8 ounces
5%

Hops
2 ounces
Hallertauer
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
50%
Tettnanger
4%, Pellet 1 ounce
50%

Miscellaneous
(null)

Batch/Fly
90 minutes, 7.46 gallons
Strike
Target 154°F 3.44 gallons
168°F
90 minutes
Sparge 4.02 gallons
170°F

Boil
1 hour, 5.78 gallons
Tettnanger hops
4%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
30 minutes (+30)
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Add wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)

Ferment
7 days @ 63°F, 14 days @ 60°F
Rack to secondary (60°F) 14 days (+7 days)

Sent from my iPhone

ooo I like the suggestions I've gotten so far. I'm a little concerned about keeping a low fermentation temperature. I can crank the AC in my room all the way up but thats about the best I can do :/ I will probably do either Edworts or BierMunchers recipe although I've never made a pumpkin beer and that Punktoberfest looks really sweet :D ahhhhh so many recipes to brew, so little time! thanks for the suggestions guys

I've been using a swamp cooler with some frozen empty soda bottles to keep my temps down...

Back