Cooking pizza on BGE...any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetfoot

Reaction score
I'm a longtime owner of a BGE but it has been a long time since I tried pizza.
I want to try it again but would like to hear any tips on getting it right.

The first time I tried making a few pizzas, here's what happened: there was too much smoke and the crust was grey and overly smokey on the first pie. The next pizza was the best pizza I ever had; the temperature was up and the crust cooked perfectly. I tried one other time and broke the stone.

Do you pre heat the stone in the oven, then carry it outside hot to prevent breakage? Do you load it up with charcoal and get it really hot?

I want to try this again but would prefer not to break the pizza stone.

I just load up my fire bowl with lump, get the coals going and once it's going I put the plate setter on along with the pizza stone and let the temp come up. Vent wide open, no daisy wheel so I can get that 700+ degree temp and I let it burn it temp for a short time. I also make sure the stone has plenty of corn meal rubbed in before putting it on. I haven't had any issues and pie's are usually done in 5-6 minutes. Just make sure your not putting a cold or still frozen pizza on if you are using pre-made crusts, that'll bust a stone in a minute.

Here's one of my last pizza's:
pizza.jpg

No floppy soggy crust here:
46846_1578026931852_1270987997_1623523_3712043_n.jpg

I don't have a BGE but I have a BSK (Big Steel Keg) and it is my preferred place for making pizzas, cooking methods are about the same though. I need to get a larger diameter stone to make slightly larger pizzas. I currently use an old pampered chef round one, but it is sized for my peel so if I get a bigger stone I'll need to make/buy a bigger peel.

I've started doing my 'za on parchment. Since I only have one peel, it allows me to get the next 'za ready while the current one is cooking.

Before I used the parchment I would use semolina flour instead of cornmeal. Seemed to work much better and didn't burn as easily.

I don't shoot for 700, but I get it stabilized and preheated so when I load a new 'za on and close the lid it gets back to 650 within 20-30 seconds.

I usually don't add any wood chips/chunks unless they are left in there for a previous cook. There is enough smoke/flavor coming off the lump itself so you don't need to overdo it with extra wood.

With the current size stone/peel I have I usually end up cooking a cheese bread and 2 pizzas just to have some leftovers for lunch the next day. When having people over a week ago I did 5.

I used to be a just pepperoni or pepperoni and other meat only kinda guy, but lately my favorite has been sauced with a good bbq sauce, topped with mexican blend cheese, and shredded/pulled pork (though last time I was out of pork so I used chicken). I also made a spinach and white sauce 'za that same night and it was still preferred over the pepperoni.

Edit: forgot you asked about cracking. As soon as your fire is lit get your diffuser and stone in there and they will heat up slowly and then you aren't subjecting it to a sudden temperature change

I'm not sure if the application will work for a BGE, but I've spent the past two summers lining my propane grill grate with 1.25" thick medium density firebricks. It simulates a brick oven nearly perfectly. Much cheaper and more durable than a pizza stone. They also radiate heat for about an hour after cooking.
Mine are like the top one pictured here:
firebrick.jpg

Skip the platesetter. Get the Woo Ring instead. It's much more versatile. When used as a spacer, it brings the grill surface up, even with the gasketed surface - makes cooking burgers and dogs much easier. It also makes using a peel possible when placing a pizza stone on the grate.

Skip the platesetter. Get the Woo Ring instead. It's much more versatile. When used as a spacer, it brings the grill surface up, even with the gasketed surface - makes cooking burgers and dogs much easier. It also makes using a peel possible when placing a pizza stone on the grate.

It's basically the same at twice the price?

$39.99 is about half the price...

I use a round ceramic stone on the bottom rung for all my indirect cooks (instead of the platesetter). I put the grate on top of it for cooking dogs/burgers/chicken. I put the grate on top, then add the pizza stone, and cook pizza, bread, cookies, etc.

It's WAY more versatile than the platesetter, IMHO.

$39.99 is about half the price...

I use a round ceramic stone on the bottom rung for all my indirect cooks (instead of the platesetter). I put the grate on top of it for cooking dogs/burgers/chicken. I put the grate on top, then add the pizza stone, and cook pizza, bread, cookies, etc.

It's WAY more versatile than the platesetter, IMHO.

I paid under $35 for my platesetter, the thing you posted with the stone is like $100 in the link. I can turn the platesetter legs up or legs down to achieve the same thing and I already have a grate if needed which you use legs up for smoking. The 3-tier rack is also about $35. If you just get the ring you can achieve the same thing for about $5 with a couple U-bolts and nuts to raise the grid. How is it WAY more versatile???

If you invert the platesetter, you are blocking some of the direct heat from the coals. That's where I see the advantage of the ring. Ring + stone = indirect cooker or pizza oven. Ring - stone = direct cook at the felt gasket level.

Whether you use the platesetter or the ring, you still have to buy a pizza stone. I don't advocate buying the $100+ product at the top of the linked page - that's not worth the cash.

I've only ever seen the platesetter for $60+. Congrats on the great deal.

I use one of these. It'll get smokin hot and not crack or warp It's used almost daily around the Jass household.

Do you use a peel with this guy or do you just build the pizza on it and throw it in the egg.

My biggest issue is getting the pizza to slide off the peel. I've used the plate setter and a pizza stone with limited success. If I can get the pizza to slide off the peel it works great. But it seems like half the time it wants to stick and I end up with a huge mess.

Do you use a peel with this guy or do you just build the pizza on it and throw it in the egg.

My biggest issue is getting the pizza to slide off the peel. I've used the plate setter and a pizza stone with limited success. If I can get the pizza to slide off the peel it works great. But it seems like half the time it wants to stick and I end up with a huge mess.

The cast iron pan goes into the grill or oven to pre-heat. I use a peel with a combination of AP flour and corn meal to prevent the dough from sticking.

Also, when you're constructing the pizza, keep moving the dough around on the peel. Moving the dough will keep it from setting up on the peel.

I hear ya on the dough sticking to the peel. I used to have that problem. It's definitely a frustrating experience.:mug:

Try using parchment paper, it makes transferring easy

+1 on the parchment paper, makes pizza making a breeze. Anyone know where to get parchment paper bulk (like the 3yr plastic wrap box at Sam's)? 4.95 for the tiny box at the grocery store seems a little steep.

do you remove the pizza from the parchment paper before it goes into the oven/grill?

I have owned a WSM for a long time but am considering purchasing a BGE. I am actually entering a rib competition next Saturday does anyone have any tips for using a BGE for the 1st time? I am confident in my rib recipe but controlling the temp will be the key.

You can chill the dough a bit to stiffen it after it has been pulled to shape, then coat the underside with a mixture of flour and cornmeal. It'll slide right off the peel. Just make sure you don't use too much on the bottom (especially flour) and don't let it burn.

Back