GF Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your GF ingredients from. Are there any good sites for extracts? I've checked all of my usual go to online brew sites and they don't have very good extract selections. I just want some liquid sorghum extract and maybe some rice extract as well. If possible I'd like to order the whole recipe from one location to avoid paying out of my anus for shipping costs. Thanks in advance.

Also if you think I would be better off using sorghum and malting the grains myself let me know, I'm just trying to make an easy beer for a gluten intolerant friend of mine.

I order all my GF supplies from Midwest and the shipping isn't bad at all. If you want rice extract, you can either use gluten free brown rice syrup- usually available at health food stores, or Midwest carries rice syrup solids which are the same thing and the brand they carry is gluten free. IMO ordering a kit isn't worth the trouble and it costs more, you're better off making your own recipe and getting everything you can online or locally...Austin Homebrew Supply also carries sorghum syrup.

If you want to malt sorghum, theres a link somewhere around here that you can get a 5 gallon bucket pretty cheap and the shipping is really low (check my malting gf grains thread). But the whole malting process itself is a pain if you don't have spare time.

I agree. Midwest has a great selection and there extracts are really fresh. And from what I have read, its a grain extract, some other extracts out there are actually syrups made from the stalk, which will still work but lack some of the proteins and enzymes present in the grain extracts.

sorry to invade on the thread, but I hope to make gluten-free mead. I understand I will need a gluten free yeast, is this true? and can I get it from the same suppliers listed below?

thanks
-James

sorry to invade on the thread, but I hope to make gluten-free mead. I understand I will need a gluten free yeast, is this true? and can I get it from the same suppliers listed below?

thanks
-James
I use Safale US-05 - and the person I make my GF beer for has never had a problem, and she's pretty sensitive to gluten.

Back