UK 2row extract equivilant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korgman

Reaction score
I've been doing AG for a year and have no idea about extracts anymore. What would be equivilant or close to 10 lbs of UK 2 Row? Dry or liquid...makes no difference. Need a little extra punch in an upcoming brew and I don't have enough space in my mash tun for all the grain.

And is it pound per pound? 10 lbs DME gonna give me roughly the same conversion as 10 lbs AG mash?

And is it pound per pound? 10 lbs DME gonna give me roughly the same conversion as 10 lbs AG mash?

Not even close, 10 lbs of DME gives you a 1.088 and 10 lbs AG is 1.054. Looks like 6 lbs 2 oz will give you the same as a 10 lb AG and 6 lbs even is 1.053 so close enough.

I added Muntons DME as an ingredient to my ProMash recipe and it has it listed under "Potential SG pppg" as 1.046. The radio button for the recipe is set to Potential though. If I flip that button to extract, the column name becomes Extract SG and it jumps to 1.084, but then all the SG's for my grains change.

Now I'm getting scared. I don't think ProMash can compute what I'm trying to do.

So, basically, doing an all grain mash with 20 pounds of grain, getting 12 gallons out of that mash, and boiling down. I'm added 6-10 lbs of DME to make up for the 10 extra pounds of UK 2row that I don't have space for in the mash tun. What do you think Neonsilver, stick with the 6lbs?

Since you're using base grain and extract technically you're doing a Partial Mash, maybe that will sort it all out properly?

So, basically, doing an all grain mash with 20 pounds of grain, getting 12 gallons out of that mash, and boiling down. I'm added 6-10 lbs of DME to make up for the 10 extra pounds of UK 2row that I don't have space for in the mash tun. What do you think Neonsilver, stick with the 6lbs?

I'd say wait until you have a gravity reading and then adjust based on what you are missing. Sounds like it should be around 6 lbs though. That should help account for any change in your efficiency.

Back