Yeast Cake Re-use/Gelatin/Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceskier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'm tying all of these recent threads together as they may apply to the ball of knots issue I'm having.

About 2 months ago I brewed a Dead Guy clone. Domestic 2-row (no I don't know the specific maltster), specialty malts and Pacman yeast. 150F Mash temp, 1.055 SG. The fermentation took off like crazy at a controlled 60F. I had a stable 1.009 FG in 4 days with a very clear beer. I transferred to secondary and saved the yeast cake in the primary. I do the airless transfers with Better Bottles, so I don't suspect contamination, as I have not had any to date. Knock on wood. At each transfer I do a taste test with the remnants and it was all good each time.

The next week I brewed a Mirror Pond clone, same domestic 2-row from the LHBS. 151F mash temp, also a 1.055 SG. I dumped the chilled wort directly on the saved Pacman yeast cake in the original primary. 9 days later at 60F, it was at 1.015. Much slower. I racked to secondary left at 55F and left traveling for the holidays and skiing. 3 weeks later it was at a stable 1.009 and looked quite clear. I moved the BB back in the house figuring I was ready to bottle. In moving the BB, the yeast got kicked up a bit and the beer clouded. I figured, no problem, I'll rest it a day or two. Well, it would not clear at room temp. So, it was the old standby of gelatin to the rescue. My gelatin technique is cooled boiled water with a half package of Knorr gelatin, then heated to 170-180 for about 5 minutes. I dumped this in the BB, swirled and left it at room temp for 3 days. Still pretty cloudy. Hmmm. OK, lets try cold crashing. Well it's been sitting at 34F for 4 days now and it's still cloudy!

What do I try next?

Back