Stomach ache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
Strange,

My second batch of the beer is funky!
After i drink it gives me stomach-aches and a weird buzz!
Is it production fault,or yeast.I had same problem with first batch,beer is drinkable,but its geavy to stomach,Is it so with every hombrew?

Might be one of those mental things. Maybe it could be related to something else? From what I understand if your beer has gone bad there is no mistaking it.

How long are you leaving it in the fermenter?

How are you bottling? Using a bottling bucket or are you trying to bottle out of the fermenter?

How long do you let it bottle condition?

You're not drinking it out of the bottle, are you?

When you pour it, are you pouring carefully and leaving the least behind?

Just a few thoughts as to what could be causing it.

Its not only me that has stomach ache after drinking ,dont habe ulcer.
How long are you leaving it in the fermenter?

How are you bottling? Using a bottling bucket or are you trying to bottle out of the fermenter?

How long do you let it bottle condition?

You're not drinking it out of the bottle, are you?

When you pour it, are you pouring carefully and leaving the least behind?

Just a few thoughts as to what could be causing it.
It was about week and a half in prime fermenter only,didnt use secondary ,yes i bottle out of fermeter.
It stayed in bottles for about 3 weeks or fewer day less.
I dont drink it out of the bottles straight.
I put it in fridge for one day before drinking..
Beer is littlebit hazy but my first batch wasnt haze at all,it was clear as a water but still same proble,
I used betadine /iodine to thoroughly steralize the equipment

I don't know that this is will solve your problem, but here's what I would try:

Let it ferment longer. 2 weeks, minimum. Check the gravity after 2 weeks and bottle when the readings remain consistent over 2 days.

Control the fermentation temperature. If you're fermenting too hot, you'll get fusel alcohol (tastes a little like acetone), and that may or may not upset your stomach but will give you headaches and hangovers, and tastes and smells bad.

Put your priming sugar solution into a bottling bucket, rack the beer from the fermenter into the bucket, and bottle from there.

My diagnosis is green beer and live yeast stomach ache.

Try leaving your beer in the primary for 3 - 4 weeks. That will allow a lot of the yeast to finish its job and fall out of suspension. Using a bottling bucket will help keep the excess yeast out of your beer.

Sounds like you're getting tons of yeast in the bottle and it's not getting time to settle out. Lots of live yeast can give you a stomach ache.

+1 to nurmey. More time in the fermenter to clear, use a bottling bucket so you aren't picking up a ton of yeast when you bottle.

Leave it a couple-three days in the fridge before drinking and the yeast that is left will fall to the bottom of the bottle.

Is it bad too drink straight from the bottle? I do when I am outside, that way I can use a koozie. But when I am inside I usually drink from a glass. But I don't have any stomach problems.

If it doesn't make your stomach hurt or give you farts to drive you out of house and home and you don't mind drinking chunky beer, then it's up to you.

It's not "bad" to drink it but it certainly may cause stomach aches or gas.
It's only a few million extra yeast cells in the bottom of that bottle, and while it's a great source of Vitamin B, it's also a great way to get your digestive system out of whack.

If it doesn't bother you - awesome! and Lucky You!
most of us have to pour slowly, stop when we see the beer get opaque, leaving behind the last 1/4 to 1/8 inch.

You might think about racking off to the secondary fermenter the next time around so alot of that goop in the bottom of your fermenter doesn't get into your beer.

Some folks believe that the yeast will actually prevent hangover. B vitamins and whatnot.

Thats interesting.. I do notice that the hefe (which turned out freaking awesome) gives me some death gas... but I do not even have the slightest bit of a hang over after drinking it heavily.

Thats interesting.. I do notice that the hefe (which turned out freaking awesome) gives me some death gas... but I do not even have the slightest bit of a hang over after drinking it heavily.

Christ Almighty Killer! The guy is from Croatia and likely has some trouble reading some of these posts. I'll bet you that all he saw in your post was:

yadda yadda yadda GAS yadda DEATH yadda yadda HEAVILY.

The poor guy will never drink again. lol

Christ Almighty Killer! The guy is from Croatia and likely has some trouble reading some of these posts. I'll bet you that all he saw in your post was:

yadda yadda yadda GAS yadda DEATH yadda yadda HEAVILY.

The poor guy will never drink again. lol

Actually only 1 post i didnt understand is yours,cuz it makes no sense!Maybe u were dead drunk while writing it.

Your body will also get used to the increased yeast consumption.

Actually only 1 post i didnt understand is yours,cuz it makes no sense!Maybe u were dead drunk while writing it.

It seems like he was referring to the OP. It looks like he is from Croatia. He was saying that the guy might not have a handle on English and only be able to read DEATH. That doesn't make sense though because the OP managed to find, register and post a topic on an English board.

Are you farting like a rhino in an onion patch? I'm definitely leaning towards the suspended yeast in the bottles. You may have also consumed some of the trub if you're bottling directly from the fermenter. My wife hates it when I drink my gravity samples. Just that little bit of green beer can give me enough fuel to fumigate the house multiple times. :D

once again folks, it's not just the yeast....

In beers that are rushed through fermentation (OP said 1.5 weeks), there's a bunch of oligosaccharides (LONG sugars) that don't get fermented - they get through your stomach and into the intestines, and the bacteria in your intestines LOVE them -- and the result is yes: beer farts, stomach pains, and other well, gaseous, side effects.

It ain't just the yeasties - that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

In beers that are rushed through fermentation (OP said 1.5 weeks), there's a bunch of oligosaccharides (LONG sugars) that don't get fermented - they get through your stomach and into the intestines, and the bacteria in your intestines LOVE them -- and the result is yes: beer farts, stomach pains, and other well, gaseous, side effects.

Learn something new everyday. I think I'll start labeling all my young beers as "(style) colon blow". Wonder what kind of epic gastrointestinal disaster would occur if you drank a young beer behind a bowl of shredded wheat? I'm not going to be the first to try it, but I bet it would be a good way to get the house to yourself for a while.

I originally thought the same thing. I think its a combo of both. I believe yeast contain a lot of the oligosaccharides in their cell structure. Thats why even a properly fermented hefeweizen will give you more farts than a properly fermented bottle conditioned IPA.

From Wikipedia: on oligosaccharides
Mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS) are widely used in animal feed to encourage gastrointestinal health and performance. They are normally obtained from the yeast cell walls of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Some brand names are: CitriStim, Bio-Mos, SAF-Mannan, Y-MOS and Celmanax.

So basicallywhat i have to do is to let it sit in ferment er for about 3 weeks,and bottle it via racking bucket,so there is not much yeast in it.And keep it at constant temperature rate.

So basicallywhat i have to do is to let it sit in ferment er for about 3 weeks,and bottle it via racking bucket,so there is not much yeast in it.And keep it at constant temperature rate.

Yes, that will help. Even letting it sit longer will help. Once you chill it, let it sit in the fridge for 48 hours or longer- that will also help the yeast fall out and compact to the bottom.

Another tip- use a highly flocculant yeast like Nottingham. That yeast will compact tightly down into the bottom of the fermenter, and just siphon off the clear beer. The yeast that is still in the bottle will also compact down tightly so when you serve it, you can just pour off the beer into a glass. If you pour with one motion (not pouring a little, stopping, pouring some more), that will also help keep your beer sediment free.

Yes, that will help. Even letting it sit longer will help. Once you chill it, let it sit in the fridge for 48 hours or longer- that will also help the yeast fall out and compact to the bottom.

Another tip- use a highly flocculant yeast like Nottingham. That yeast will compact tightly down into the bottom of the fermenter, and just siphon off the clear beer. The yeast that is still in the bottle will also compact down tightly so when you serve it, you can just pour off the beer into a glass. If you pour with one motion (not pouring a little, stopping, pouring some more), that will also help keep your beer sediment free.

So true,because in a first batch i used Nottingham yeast and,beer was clear after 2 weeks in primary,but also when i drink it it gives me gas and stomach ache.
For second batch i used muntons,and beer is still hazy ( 3 weeks in the bottles).

Can you tell me what do you mean by once u chill it.You mean when its done siting in the bottles u quick chill it and let it sit for a few days?

Back