Anyone ever tried budweiser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've had Czechvar, it's not that great. By the time it gets over here it's oxidized and due to the green glass and it sitting on the shelf at your local market it is light stricken.

Yes, I've spent several days in Ceske Budejovice (Budweis in German).

It was only a couple 4 hours drive from where I lived in Bamberg.

My first time there was in 1991, my last in 2004...the price went from $.26 (1991) to $.53 (2004) for a 1/2 liter mug at the local gasthaus...

:D
Anyone ever try the original Budweiser Budvar from The Czech Republic? This is supposedly where our Budweiser originated from.

Yeah, it's an okay Czech Pilsner. They sell it over here as Czechvar (trademark reasons) but it's usually pretty skunked after the trip.

I had some in Prague. IMO it was on the same level as Pilsner Urquell (which is also a lot better fresh, and can sometimes be found on top in the US), and both were better than Staropramen. Neither is really fantastic but they're both good serviceable lagers.

My favorite pilsener (style--only the town of Pilsen can call their beers pilseners over there) was the Klaster Special.

Eggenberg Premium is very good as well, and you can actually find that on tap some places in the US (there's a place 6 blocks from my work that currently has it).

I would LOVE to try Urquell on Tap. I can imagine what goodness it could be if it weren't skunked.

There are a few places in my town that have it.

The one I mentioned above discontinued it in favor of the (superior) Eggenberg. That's a wine bar that has a pretty decent beer selection.

But some of the regular bars around carry Urquell. You can probably find it somewhere in your area, since it's not one of those things that only the real specialty beer bars have (and it has Miler/SAB distribution backing it).

I went to the Prague last year and had some, nothing great. I ended up drinking Gueinness the rest of the night with Brits on a stag party!

Ive had it in the Czech, its better than in the US but not something I would go out of my way and drink. Urquell is better here, and on tap at places, but I dont tend to drink that type of beer much anymore.

A good pilsner can be an awesome thing. I just had one last night, can't even remember the name, that just knocked my lights out. It was awesome!

Budvar is great in Europe but only mediocre here. Many light Euro lagers just don't travel well. This is why I have high hopes for brewing them myself.

I would love to try a nice fresh glass. But I would avoid an older skunked pint. I actually love American Bud, and always have.

I've had it in Prague. It was good, but the other's were better. I can't remember the names though. :drunk:

Prague is a really cool place for a vacation. It's got all the European charm, beer, and a castle!

I had it while in Ostrava I don't recall it being outstanding, but that was in my BMC days. What I am most proud of is the Pilsner Urquell crystal raised embossed glass the bartender sold me for $2 usd. Also picked up their local BMC type beer glass, it was a Radegast.

I would LOVE to try Urquell on Tap. I can imagine what goodness it could be if it weren't skunked.

You can get it any number of places in KC. Tried it two or three times. Always unskunked, never great.

6 weeks unrefrigerated on a boat does nothing for me, although I've noticed that most homebrewers seem to love beer that has been sitting around at room temperature for months.

Yeah, it's an okay Czech Pilsner. They sell it over here as Czechvar (trademark reasons) but it's usually pretty skunked after the trip.

I had some in Prague. IMO it was on the same level as Pilsner Urquell (which is also a lot better fresh, and can sometimes be found on top in the US), and both were better than Staropramen. Neither is really fantastic but they're both good serviceable lagers.

You, sir, should be ashamed! Fresh Staropramen is a great lager. G-R-E-A-T. Perhaps, you have been misinformed on how delicious beer should taste. It's ok, I forgive you... but I won't forget.

You can get it any number of places in KC. Tried it two or three times. Always unskunked, never great.

6 weeks unrefrigerated on a boat does nothing for me, although I've noticed that most homebrewers seem to love beer that has been sitting around at room temperature for months.

That doesn't mean we drink it at room temperature. It just ages at room temp. It's at least chilled to 45-55 before drinking. But your light lagers are still going to be served cold. I wouldn't imagine lager to ever be good warm.

Just shows how great minds don't think alike all the time...

I was in Prague last year and the P.Urquell and Budvar fresh and on tap (AND in a real-deal Czech drinking establishment where they are slinging this stuff in mugs like it was a life-sustaining substance) is a great experience, and pretty tasty. Totally session stuff.

I did not like Staropramen at all! Thought it was far inferior... hey, one man's opinion and all that... ;)

:D
Anyone ever try Budweiser?

Yes. I did once, in college, but I was just experimenting, and I didn't like it. :D

On a serious note, I never liked Belgian beer until I actually went to Belgium. I spent a week in Bruges, and was forever changed by the experience. You know how most people here have that "epiphany beer," the one brew that changed their life? I had that, as well as an "epiphany woman," and an "epiphany waffle."

Belgium is awesome. :mug:

Edited: Had I been able to combine the three into an epiphany beer-woman-waffle experience, I would likely have overdosed on pure liquid awesome, and died.

Back