n00b question about my Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylansDad

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,
So I made a Kolsch (from an Extract) 3 weeks ago. It has been fermenting temps around 58 degrees. I just moved it out to the garage so I can bottle it tomorrow. However it got me thinking (which is the problem) should I:

1) Bottle it tomorrow and drink/serve at the Super Bowl (about three weeks away)
2) Bottle it and wait even longer (ie. Spring/Summer Brew)
or 3) Let it sit in the garage where the temps are low 50s to mid 40s and bottle next week (or even wait longer)? Would this count as a cold conditioning? If I do this route, do I need to move it to a secondary?

I guess I just don't know what will do this beer justice at this point. I don't have an extra fridge so I can't totally cold condition it. How does one get their beer into a secondary? Just siphon it over right?

I should add, I don't know if I've ever had a Kolsch, so I don't even know what to expect.

Thanks,
Dave

I have a Kolsch (Cinco De Mayo, by Beerific) from HBT recipes that I think was intended to be a quick Grain to glass brew. My plans are 7-10 days in primary (depending on grav) and then 7-10b days in secondary. If your bottling I think you are safe to cold crash a 3-7 days in a secondary for clearing and drinking 3 weeks after bottling.

You could cold condition in a large plastic tub with watter adding some ice every day. Frozen watter bottles work good.

A auto siphon is the easiest way to rack to secondary.

I've never had a Kolsch either. I don't expect the one I'm brewing will be much like one except for fitting in the BJCP guidelines. I need to take trip to Germany. :)

Thanks, do I need to rack it to a secondary in order to do a cold conditioning or can I do it right in the primary?

I'm planning on doing a Kolsch next too. I'm a noob brewer also so I'm only going by what I read. I believe you can cold condition in either primary or secondary. You would use the secondary if you want your brew to be especially clear (or bright) to keep it in style.

Option (1), 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle, should produce an excellent beer IMO for the super bowl (Kolsch's don't need a lot of time). Option (2) - the longer you wait the better but that doesn't mean it won't be good earlier. (3) Would work just fine too but then you wouldn't have it for the super bowl.

If you read up on your yeast you might get some answers as well.

My understanding is this: the decision is yours. A young early beer isn't a bad beer. It's quick, fresh but maybe not as developed in flavor. Wait if you have the time.

What recipe did you use?

EDIT: perhaps some with more experience can confirm...

Thanks, do I need to rack it to a secondary in order to do a cold conditioning or can I do it right in the primary?

While I'll defer to those with more experience - I think you can cold crash in the primary. Some seasoned brewers don't even use secondaries for many of their brews. I have a porter that hit TG a last week and will be in primary 3 weeks on thursday. I'm going to move primary bucket to the back deck (30-40 degrees) Friday to bottle on Sunday (skipping a secondary). It will have 4 weeks to condition before going to a club competition.

I've only brewed one Kolsch, so I'm far from an expert, but everything I've read and heard seems to say that a Kolsch really benefits from a period of lagering.

I lagered my kolsch for 4 weeks and it was probably the best beer I've brewed to date. And it took gold in the So-Cal comp last year! :ban:

I've only brewed one Kolsch, so I'm far from an expert, but everything I've read and heard seems to say that a Kolsch really benefits from a period of lagering.

I lagered my kolsch for 4 weeks and it was probably the best beer I've brewed to date. And it took gold in the So-Cal comp last year! :ban:

Cool! What recipe did you use? What temp did you lager?

And the OP was asking about cold conditioning which I believe isn't really the same as lagering. Kolsch is one of those weird ale/lager beasts. Technically it is an ale though.

Bunch of noob's on this thread - where are the big guns!

I used Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and lagered for about 4 weeks at 34 or so.

It was really hitting its stride at about 8 weeks though.

Latest posts

Back