How to quell the smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
The merlot kit (my first wine ever) I made up Friday, four days ago, is giving off a noticable sulfur smell. I used Red Star Pasteur Red yeast, if it matters. Does the sulfur smell always indicate a need to add nutrients? Thanks.

Hi gimmebeer: I always use yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & DAP (diammonium phosphate) in a wine/mead must. I've never used pasteur red, but I've virtually eliminated the sulfur generation from montrachet just by adding those nutrients. I've read where others on this site made Ed Wort's apfelwein & had a terrible stench for a few days or a week, I've got 3 gallons fermenting under my desk & even when I put my nose right up to the airlock for a sniff, I can barely detect any sulfur at all; and montrachet is known for producing sulfur. That's my 2 cents worth, hope you find this info useful, GF.

I have two kits going with the montrachet yeast going now and just did one with a pasteur the other day. I haven't noticed the smell yet on any of them, but I have bad sinuses...lol.
I keep my kits at 68* and they ferment at about 71-73*.
I would think your wine is okay and the smell should go away after a couple days.

Thanks. I think the smell has subsided a little as fermentation settles down. It's just hard to know what to do when several books and sites say it's a problem and to take immediate action and other sources say it's normal and it'll vanish in time. I messaged the company that made the kit (don't really want to say who and sully their name in case all turns out right) and their rep just says don't worry, follow the directions -- meaning no nutrients. Hope he's not just drinking the company Kool-Aid and spouting the party line.

Back